It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to restrict deletion of a work item link to delivered changeset

Rakesh Kumar (13110) | asked Jan 17 '17, 1:11 a.m.
edited Jan 21 '17, 4:27 p.m. by Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035)

I would like to restrict deletion of work item change-set links for example, deletion of the link to a change set should not be allowed for a delivered work item.

Comments
Lily Wang commented Jan 17 '17, 1:34 a.m.

If the change set has not been delivered, user can suspend or discard the change set. If the change set has been delivered, user can only revert a change set.
Could you please clarify your requirement and purpose?

Rakesh Kumar commented Jan 17 '17, 3:44 a.m. | edited Jan 17 '17, 3:44 a.m.

Hello, Thanks for the reply
my requirement in detail:
In my system, I noticed one user has deleted work item associated with delivered change set from Eclipse client view.
So I would like to restrict so that no user should allow to delete the change set or associated work item with delivered change set

Geoffrey Clemm commented Jan 21 '17, 4:24 p.m. | edited Jan 21 '17, 4:29 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Note that to avoid confusion, what you are trying to prevent is the deletion of the link between a delivered work item and a change set.   The change set itself can never be deleted, and a work item can only be deleted by someone that has been granted that permission.  I've edited your question appropriately.   If that isn't what you had in mind, please clarify further.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Jan 17 '17, 1:51 a.m.
David Lafreniere selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Jan 17 '17, 4:16 a.m.

With your clarification, you would have to create a custom extension to the points below. see Extension Points and Operation ID’s for all the ID's.

Rakesh Kumar commented Jan 18 '17, 6:26 a.m.

Hello Ralph, Thanks for the answer.
can you plz explain me in detail with example how to create custom extension

Exactly I just want to restrict that no user should allow to delete the linked work item from the delivered change set,
Note: I observed from Eclipse client view it's possible to delete such a work item.

Ralph Schoon commented Jan 18 '17, 6:33 a.m.

This is explained in detail in the

Rational Team Concert Extensions Workshop, the workshop creates a participant, but except the extension point it is the same thing the other link above shows an example for an advisor. The advisor can prevent work item save, the participant works after the save. The see Extension Points and Operation ID’s for all the ID's to find the one you want. You have to do the Extensions Workshop. Ideally you also read https://rsjazz.wordpress.com/2015/09/30/learning-to-fly-getting-started-with-the-rtc-java-apis/.

This is not trivial and you won't get away without effort.

Geoffrey Clemm commented Jan 21 '17, 4:32 p.m.

Also note that "delivered" is not a property of a work item, so there is no standard way in a work item save precondition to decide whether or not a work item has been "delivered".  You can enforce an association between the state of the work item and whether or not it has been delivered (e.g. by using the precondition that Ralph mentions above, and then preventing the work item from being transitioned out of that state), and then use that state to mean "has been delivered".

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.