It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to group multiple test suites to one runable object

Miriam Kilav (156) | asked Jan 15 '17, 3:22 p.m.
retagged Jan 20 '17, 5:07 a.m. by Minakshi Jaint (5113)

We are in a stage of design for moving our tests and test suites to RQM. 

We have a question regarding the right structure of tests and test suites.
Our use case is: we have a cycle that runs every night (and is called "nightly") and is triggered by Jenkins.
This cycle contains 5 test lists. Each one for one environment. (e.g.: one with X tests, running in Linux and one with Y tests, for Windows7, one with Z tests, for Windows8, etc.).
So from the documentation i understood that each test list called test suite in RQM.
I can create the test suites but I don't find a way to group all those test suites to one object (test plan? test suite? scheduled execution?).
My requirement is that Jenkins will trigger (via REST API) ONE object and not the 5 test suites one after another. 
I'd like to have this grouping for two reasons:
1. To ease the process of nightly triggering (one click and not 5 clicks)
2. We would like to see indicators and trends of this nightly so we need a way to group the results somehow

If that important: we will probably use test cell for lab management. We'd like RQM to provide us the machines on run time. 

One answer

permanent link
Don Yang (7.7k21109138) | answered Jan 16 '17, 12:09 a.m.

Hi, Miriam

From your description, each test list should be in a test case instead of Test Suite.
Then you can group 5 test cases into one Test Suite, here you can consider Test Suite "one object".
So in Jenkins configuration, you can add Test Suite Execution Record to run and the result should be in one set as well.
Regarding Test Case and Test Suite and more info, you can find them from:
http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSJJ9R_6.0.3/com.ibm.rational.test.qm.doc/topics/c_testcase_overview.html

Hopefully this helps to start with.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.