It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC 6.2: How to execute server plugin from client side

Naveen Tyagi (19769152) | asked Jan 12 '17, 5:19 a.m.

I want to execute the server plugin when user click on tab of  work item. is it feasible at all using Script or by any other way?
Or  if possible at the time when user open the work item in web client ? Thanks in advance.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Jan 12 '17, 5:54 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Jan 12 '17, 5:55 a.m.

You can't for all I know.

Naveen Tyagi selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Jan 12 '17, 6:12 a.m.

And I should add, the question is, what is supposed to be achieved here and why.

Naveen Tyagi commented Jan 12 '17, 7:22 a.m.

Why would be difficult for me as i also don't know. 
I have been asked to Explore the possibility to set the work item attributes when user click on Tab in web client and these values will be set by web service. The idea is, instead of value coming from RTC should come from the web service in the work item attribute each time user open to tab.
1. It can only be done something with Scripting support to invoke the server side plugin that will set the attribute value.

Ralph Schoon commented Jan 12 '17, 7:38 a.m.

In general, there is something extremely wrong in an approach, where someone is asked to explore solutions and does not know why and for what purpose these "Solutions" are. I have seen the approach taken here in the past and it is never working but leading to frustration on all sides, because you will never get anywhere and we will waste our time telling you it is not working after finding out what you try to do.

This whole approach is doomed. I would strongly suggest to get a capable consultant that knows how RTC works involved.

Instead of dreaming up how to implement something that will never work in RTC discuss the requirements with them and find out if these are possible implement in RTC and if so which approaches are likely possible and working.

Please see a very similar discussion in the comments on the answer here: https://jazz.net/forum/questions/233466/design-question-linktypes-vs-attributes

One other answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Jan 12 '17, 7:53 a.m.
edited Jan 12 '17, 7:55 a.m.
The idea is, instead of value coming from RTC should come from the web service in the work item attribute each time user open to tab.

1. It can only be done something with Scripting support to invoke the server side plugin that will set the attribute value.

This whole approach completely ignores how the RTC UI's work and what they support in terms of extending. It also ignores that RTC has also an Eclipse UI and how that works and what it allows.

The only built in mechanism I am aware of to get external values from a web Service is the HTTP filtered value set. The only way to set values dependent on some change event is calculated values or follow up actions. The only extension point I am aware for attribute values and editor presentations is custom editor presentations where you could create some custom attribute value picker for a cost.

You can do nothing based on changing a tab, because there is no extension point.

If you want a reasonable insight into what you can do to extend RTC see

RTC Process Customization – What you can and cannot do

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.