It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Error when submitting an RTC work item

Matthew Clark (10711244) | asked Dec 20 '16, 3:48 p.m.
RTC version 6.0.1 and iFix008.

Some of our external users get this error when attempting to submit a work item. I believe the data from the work item still writes to the database, because it's searchable afterwards. I think the error may have something to do with network problems, because our external users are always on VPN, and our internal users never see this.  Any anybody familiar with this or has seen this error before?

I can't post a screenshot yet, but its a Message from webpage that says, "TypeError: Unable to get property 'indexOf' of undefined or null reference"

Comments
Miguel Tomico commented Dec 21 '16, 6:42 a.m. | edited Dec 21 '16, 6:45 a.m.

Hi Matthew.

It can be a zillion things. Can you please provide more info?

https://jazz.net/forum/questions/203755/how-should-i-ask-a-question-in-the-forum-if-i-want-to-receive-useful-answers

In particular,

Can you please expand on 'I believe the data from the work item still writes to the database, because it's searchable afterwards.'?

What do you mean by 'submitting' the work item? Changing its status? Creating a work item? Clicking save?

Looking at the description of the error, it doesn't look like a VPN or connectivity issue, but more of a javascript error.

Matthew Clark commented Dec 21 '16, 10:50 a.m.

Hello Miguel, apologies for any vagueness in the question. For clarification, when I say the data still writes to the database, I mean that the webpage throws the error, but the work item still seems to get created.  This occurs when the user clicks save on the work item.

I'm fairly certain this error has to do with network connectivity issues. It ONLY occurs when external users are on our network using Cisco's clientless VPN, it never happens for any of our internal users on the network.

Gary Mizner commented Dec 21 '16, 11:04 a.m. | edited Dec 21 '16, 12:18 p.m.

I have some information to add to this. I work with Matt on the same project. The issue only happens for our users who are using a "client-less" VPN. Due to current requirements this is the only option for gaining access to our environment. The error occurs at different times for different users and is not %100 repeatable. For example; a user may go to create a brand new work item and this error will happen before they ever see the Work Item presentation, or sometimes they can enter in all the data for a work item and after they save the work item this is the error that occurs. Most of the time if you click around (either click the back button or click work items and create the work item again) the error will "correct" itself. This error has never happened for our local users. It may be a javascript error, but I think it is being caused by the client-less VPN.

One answer

permanent link
Miguel Tomico (5001323) | answered Dec 21 '16, 12:54 p.m.

If you are sure it's due to the clientless VPN, you should ask Cisco then.

However, what might work for internal users may fail for external users because of the different roles, permissions, configuration, etc.

I would still look into your process configuration to rule out possibilities, especially considering the nature of the javascript error. I would believe it's a connectivity issue if the javascript code was truncated, but that does not seem to be the case.

I would start by providing a couple of screenshots and using the debug=true parameter and use the developer tools. It is weird that an error message is popping up, but you can still save the work item.

Do you have any javascript validators or calculated values?

The best ones to help you troubleshoot this are IBM Support, because, as you can see, it requires to look into your configuration.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.