It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Virtualizing RTC client - can it be done?

Norman Dignard (356688167) | asked Dec 07 '16, 9:15 a.m.
My manager wants to explore the possibility of virtualizing the RTC client.  I don't know much on this subject but my first intuition is that this would not be possible or of limited use in our organization.  Perhaps it would suit other apps but not the RTC client.
I had explained to him that most of users use the RTC plugin into their IDE (eg. eclipse, MS Studio, etc.) on various hosts - Windows, SUSE, RH, QNX, MACs.   The standalone RTC client  would have limited use.   He also wants to virtualize the RTC pluggin.  (I think he's reading too many cliff notes and is on a new kick).

If I understand the virtualization bit, this would be suitable for apps like word, or apps that don't store user config info (eg. connection strings, user account info like you would spec for the RTC client.) As for plugins into an app, i don't see this as feasible at all.

Perhaps I'm wrong on this but is this feasible?  Has someone already done this?
Any inputs welcome.

Norm

One answer

permanent link
SEC Servizi (97123559) | answered Dec 07 '16, 10:55 a.m.
edited Dec 07 '16, 10:58 a.m.
We are used to use RTC client on virtualized workstation. In fact, RTC client is an Eclipse-based product and we have to persist only user's configurations and workspaces.
In this scenario:
most of users use the RTC plugin into their IDE (eg. eclipse, MS Studio, etc.) on various hosts - Windows, SUSE, RH, QNX, MACs. The standalone RTC client  would have limited use.
the virtualization by itself could not be a solution, IMHO.
Cheers.

Comments
Norman Dignard commented Dec 07 '16, 11:41 a.m.

Thanks for the input but I'm not talking about virtualizing the workstation just the app. Something more akin to Software as a Service I assume.

NormĀ 

SEC Servizi commented Dec 09 '16, 3:20 a.m. | edited Dec 09 '16, 3:21 a.m.
I'm not talking about virtualizing the workstation just the app. Something more akin to Software as a Service I assume.

You could use the web UI as RTC client for all except the SCM check-in operations, I suppose.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.