It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Is there a way to link a Test Case Execution Result to a Development Work Item?

Jamie Berry (14013693) | asked Dec 06 '16, 11:53 a.m.
 I have a program who is starting to use RQM and RTC togehter.  In particular, they want to use RQM to test fixes of Defects recorded in RTC.  They are linking test cases to the defects using the Tested By Test Case linkage from RTC.  This works great for identifying what test case is to be used for the verification of the defect,the sticky point we are running into now is capturing the Test Case Execution Result that was actually used to verfiy the defect.  The link to the test case reflects the last execution status of the case.  In most cases this will be accurate, but there will be cases where the test case is used for mutliple execution scenarios and the last result of the test case may not be applicable to a specific defect.  We would like to capture the specific test result with the defect.  The best option I have come up with so far is to put the URL to the result in the defect as a Related Artifact link.  Does anyone have a better solution?  Is there an easy way to build an OSLC linkage URL so hover over would work on the link in RTC?

Thanks,
Jamie.

One answer

permanent link
Frank McGrath (242162) | answered Dec 06 '16, 12:27 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
 You can link create a link from a test result step to a Work Item, and this will also show a return link from the work item to the test case result under the link section "Affects Test Result".

You can also just create a direct link from the work item to an existing test result.  Select the "Affects Test Result" type, select the project area, and then select "Link to Existing" (this selection is required).  The "Select Test Result" dialog will come up allowing you to select a specific test result.

Comments
Jamie Berry commented Dec 07 '16, 8:09 a.m.

Frank,

Thank you for the response.  I had actually looked at using "Affects Test Results" but didn't pursue it as it winds up showing the RTC defect work item in the Defects section of the Test Case Result.  This makes it look like the work item is reporting a defect found while testing as opposed to being the change that was tested.  I can offer this as an option for my users.  In some cases it will be okay since the work item may have actually been created to report a problem found during execution of the test case, but in other instances the defect work item would have been created outside of a test case.

Thanks again,
Jamie.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.