It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Work Item "Planned For" attribute Warning - Iteration Does Not Belong To Timeline

Jason Everson (1111) | asked Nov 30 '16, 11:46 a.m.
 We are currently using JTS RTC 6.0.2 in the web client, and I am running into an issue when creating a work item and assigning the Planned For field.  When I select the Iteration for this field, I get a warning saying that the "Iteration does not belong to the timeline".   

We recently started using team areas in a project and this error only appeared after this.  I have setup Team Areas and Timelines and Categories, and mapped the teams to timelines and the categories to associated teams under the each timelines.  The "Any" timeline is unassociated, so it defaults to the project team area.

For instance I have:
Timelines
Team A's Timeline
Team B's Timeline
Team C's Timeline

Teams
Team A -> Team A's Timeline
Team B -> Team B's Timeline
Team C -> Team C's Timeline

Categories              Any               Team A's Timeline        Team B's Timeline        Team C's Timeline      
<root>               Project Team                   Team A                           Team B                          Team C
App 1                Project Team                   Team A                           Team B                          Team C
App 2                Project Team                   Team A                           Team B                          Team C

Can anybody help me understand why I get this error message?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered May 16 '18, 3:11 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

The only way I was able to recreate something like this bug in 6.0.5 was in the Eclipse client (not in the Web client), and only when I was actively modifying the category mappings.   In particular, it appears to be a caching problem ... if I shut down the Eclipse client and reopened it, the problem goes away.

The expected behavior is that if you have explicit category/team mappings set in each timeline, then you should never get this warning message.   In particular, whenever you set the plan-for property, that will activate the mappings specified for that timeline, and the team area should be set appropriately for that category.   The only time you should get this warning is when you select a planned-for iteration in a timeline that does not have category/team mappings, which means that the "Any" mappings are used to select the team area, which may not be a team area that uses the timeline specified by the planned-for iteration.

If you can recreate this problem in the WebUI in 6.0.5 or later (i.e., getting this kind of warning when you have the mappings specified for every timeline), please submit a defect.

Ralph Schoon selected this answer as the correct answer

3 other answers

permanent link
Andy Detandt (535) | answered Aug 03 '18, 1:24 p.m.

"Iteration not associated to Team" - This occurs when you have multiple teams or (sub) team process areas in a RTC project and the team's timeline is unspecified.

Resolve by going to Manage This Project Area (gear icon).  In the impacted Team Process Area or (sub)team process area; look for a relatively new setting called Timeline (just above where you add Members to a project).  Adjust the drop down value to the Timeline associated to this team.

This Timeline is not the overall project area Timeline.

Comments
Andy Detandt commented Aug 03 '18, 1:30 p.m.

In order to do effective concurrent planning, four settings should be set properly:  Category, Timeline, Iteration, Team Process Area, this allows the Planned for, Filed against and Owned by fields to work efficiently.

permanent link
Manoj Panda (39336662) | answered May 09 '18, 11:18 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

looks like same issues in 6.0.5

permanent link
Lily Wang (4.9k714) | answered Nov 30 '16, 8:30 p.m.
I could reproduce the issue in RTC 6.0.2 but no such issue in v6.0.1. So I suspect this is a product problem.
Actually in 6.0.2 a new feature Work item filed against category should filter 'planned for' elements has been implemented which may related to this issue.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.