It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Get diagram picture in DNG into RPE report

Christian Opitz (63411) | asked Nov 22 '16, 10:59 a.m.
Hello all,

I have a DNG module that contains several diagrams ("processes" artifact afaik) and would like to get them to a RPE report. I have had no issues getting text artifacts, but can someone help with getting these graphical artifacts?
Thanks in advance!

Christian

Accepted answer

permanent link
Subramanya Prasad Pilar (4.6k15) | answered Nov 20 '17, 4:05 a.m.
edited Nov 20 '17, 4:10 a.m.

With DNG 6.0.4 onwards, DNG diagram artifacts can be rendered directly. You should use the text schema and print the rich text body (dataSource/artifact/content/text/richTextBody/div) just like you do for other text artifacts.
Note: There is no separate "diagram" artifact format supported by DNG REST API. While designing RPE template, consider diagram artifact as "text" artifact.

Christian Opitz selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Bob 3 commented Nov 21 '17, 12:40 a.m.

Subramanya, thank you very much for following up on this topic. 

5 other answers

permanent link
Matthew OReilly (4114) | answered Jan 24 '18, 6:30 p.m.
edited Jan 28 '18, 8:54 p.m.
I have Diagrams in a module working in RDNG 6.0.4, RPE 6.0.5, creating a TOF with correct captions; the RPE shipped sample DTA with "Sketches" example wasted hours of my time trying to get working - since RDNG has no way of adding a "Sketch" anymore, only Diagrams.

I tried to upload an image of my RPE container here, but one needs 60+ points apparently to be able to do this, so the best I can do is this (see below), hopefully it helps someone else with this issue. Now if only I could get bookmarks going!

1. add a container with condition
  2. format == "Diagram"
  3. Data source of _text from dataSource/artifact/moduleContext/contextBinding
  4. another container with _text of dataSource/artifact (source $48)
  5. paragraph with Text of "Figure:", Figure Caption, Text of dataSource/artifact/title (source $48)

Ps: The Diagram format allows either workflow type /visio diagrams, AND images to be loaded. We use a lot of screen grabs for documentation so the latter is key.

permanent link
Bob 3 (1481564) | answered Mar 10 '17, 12:58 p.m.

Given that there are only a few artifact formats in DNG 6.0.3, like Module, Text, or Diagram; any artifact of format "Diagram" is unable to be directly published by RPE? Do I understand this correctly?

I'm quite surprised that Business Process Diagrams, Graphical Artifacts, Storyboards, and Use Case Diagrams (all of Diagram format) are unable to be directly published with RPE!

Comments
Subramanya Prasad Pilar commented Mar 10 '17, 1:26 p.m.

There are several supported artifact formats including uisketches, usecasediagrams, etc. You can refer https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/DNGReportableRestAPI
Only diagram artifact type that is newly added in DNG 6.0.x is currently not supported.

Also, as already mentioned you can publish all the diagrams within the module if you are generating the document through DNG itself (since it uses view schema).

permanent link
Subramanya Prasad Pilar (4.6k15) | answered Mar 10 '17, 3:54 a.m.

No. There is an Enhancement created (Add Diagram artifact format to the RDNG Reportable REST API), which is under consideration.

permanent link
Bob 3 (1481564) | answered Mar 10 '17, 2:59 a.m.

Is there a different answer to this question post-CLM 6.0.3?

If not, is there an enhacement request or road map for resolving this defect?

permanent link
Subramanya Prasad Pilar (4.6k15) | answered Nov 22 '16, 1:29 p.m.
edited Feb 21 '17, 4:41 a.m.

Which version of DNG are you using? Can you specify the Artifact type and Artifact format selected while creating artifact in DNG?

If it is the new "Diagram" Artifact format, it is not a supported artifact format in DNG Reportable REST API. Unlike wrappedResourceImageURI for WrapperResources, we cannot get diagram URI for diagrams. To print the diagram, you can Insert the Diagram artifact into a Text artifact and then GET the Text artifact (https://server:port/rm/publish/text?resourceURI=UUID&maximiseEmbeds=true).

If it is a Graphical Artifact (ex. Business Process Diagram), you can derive the imageURL as in the attached sample template. For other graphical artifacts (ex. UCD), you can use dataSource/artifact/content/usecasediagram/rendering as Image content.

Comments
Christian Opitz commented Nov 23 '16, 2:53 a.m.

We are using 6.0.2 iFix006 and yes, it is the artifact format "diagram" that is fairly new. This being not available via the reportable REST API is really bad, I think it should be.
Could you please detail your idea to insert the diagram artifact into a text artifact? This would have to be done manually, right? So it would just mean to insert the artifact into a text artifact as it would be done e.g. for pictures, right?

Thanks in advance!

Subramanya Prasad Pilar commented Nov 23 '16, 4:08 a.m.

Right. So you have only two options:
1) Include the diagram in a module then create a report for the module view. (Limitation is that view schema is not public, so this cannot be used on for custom RPE template).
2) Insert/embed the Diagram artifact into a text artifact then print the text artifact. (This option can be used for custom RPE template as well).

Christian Opitz commented Nov 25 '16, 4:00 a.m.

Thanks for your answer. Could you please elaborate your suggestion #1? Our diagrams are included in modules, but I was not able to get them printed

Thank you!

Raj K commented Feb 20 '17, 7:12 p.m.

Did you guys figure out how to print graphical artifact in the module in a custom RPE Template?

Subramanya Prasad Pilar commented Feb 21 '17, 4:42 a.m.

If you are generating document through RPE (custom report), the work around is to embed the diagram artifact into a text artifact then print the text artifact. Note that you need to append maximiseEmbeds=true to the data source URL. If you are generating report through DNG, include the diagrams in a module then create a report for the module view.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.