It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

The Eclipse executable launcher was unable to locate its companion shared library

Julie Trinh (13114) | asked Nov 11 '16, 3:52 p.m.
Hi,

I have downloaded RTC Client 6.0.2. for MAC.  After download the RTC-Client-Mac-6.0.2.zip, I unzipped and tried to launch Eclipse.app from jazz/client/eclipse/Eclipse.  However, I kept running into this error:

The Eclipse executable launcher was unable to locate its companion shared library

My MAC OS is Sierra 10.12.1.  Does anyone have the same issue? I checked the Eclipse.ini and both files are there

-startup
../../../plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.1.1.R36x_v20101122_1400.jar
--launcher.library
../../../plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.cocoa.macosx_1.1.2.R36x_v20101019_1345

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Accepted answer

permanent link
Shashikant Padur (4.2k27) | answered Nov 13 '16, 10:40 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Try the following workaround mentioned in workitem 402291:
I was able to work around this by showing package contents of Eclipse.app and double clicking on Contents/MacOS/eclipse. (Alternatively I can start from Contents/MacOS/eclipse in a terminal window).
Julie Trinh selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Julie Trinh commented Nov 13 '16, 11:28 p.m.

Thanks very much, the solution to start from Contents/MacOS/eclipse works. 

Donald Nong commented Nov 14 '16, 12:39 a.m.

I have the same experience. It seems to be a issue with Mac OS Sierra with older version of Eclipse. The funny thing is, I have several RTC clients that worked on El Capitan, and they continue to work on Sierra. But If I exact the same clients from a zip file, they will not work.

One other answer

permanent link
Lily Wang (4.9k714) | answered Nov 13 '16, 10:27 p.m.
 Searching the error "The Eclipse executable launcher was unable to locate its companion shared library" on public forum, it seems the most common cause of the issue is due to unzipping the Eclipse zip file incorrectly.
Please see the following discussions:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7070968/eclipse-executable-launcher-error-unable-to-locate-companion-shared-library
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10876538/the-eclipse-executable-launcher-was-unable-to-locate-its-companion-launcher-jar

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.