It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Not able to save some characters in description field of a work item

Arshad Adavani (231220) | asked Oct 27 '16, 8:29 a.m.
Hello All,

I am creating a work item through RTC java API. I have a string in description as "--> <--".
Value is properly set but when I save the work item it will be truncated to "-->".

No problem with the size of description fields. Same thing works fine if I add it to a comment.
Any hints/suggestions ?

One answer

permanent link
Kevin Ramer (4.5k8183200) | answered Oct 27 '16, 9:51 a.m.
I have seen that these items seem to get sanitized and things that look like HTML tags can remove bits of the input.
e.g.   user enters some "code" like

if ( runtime <1 ) {

The data from < to the end of the line is likely to be elided.  Similary for things that have what could be interpreted as general markup.  E.g.   The appearance of <words> or <phrases> ...

Comments
Arshad Adavani commented Oct 27 '16, 9:53 a.m.

Hi Kevin,
Thanks for your reply. Your analysis looks correct. Even I thought the same. But is there a way to get rid of this problem?

Kevin Ramer commented Oct 27 '16, 10:08 a.m.

I only noticed this because I'm responsible for an automation which bridges external data into RTC work items.  A recent change required that the automation could update a couple of attributes ( Description being one of them ).   I found it seems to be sufficient to encode the < and > to &lt;  and &gt; , respectively.

But I don't know how this might work in the interactive setting ( i.e. as a person writing the text )

Arshad Adavani commented Oct 27 '16, 10:33 a.m.

Hi Kevin,
I got a solution.. This was because of HTML as we analyzed. StringEscapeUtils class from Apache Commons helped me to resolve this issue.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.