It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How do I create a follow-up action to calculate total estimated hours on child tasks when the parent story is saved?

Ryan McBryde (5711130) | asked Oct 20 '16, 5:54 p.m.
RTC version 6.0.1

I would like to create a follow-up action for a User Story that will read the estimated hours for all child tasks and populate the Estimate attribute on the Story when it is saved; or a task is added, removed, or modified.  It needs to work with both the web and Eclipse clients. I assume that means that this is a server side extension.  True?

Based on the research so far, it would appear that it calls for writing an extension and then

I have reviewed "Rational Team Concert Extensions Workshop" but it's not clear how to proceed.I have also reviewed the link @ https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/PreconditionFollowupCreation

Do I need to use the Plug-in Development Environment (PDE) to do this?  I am not a Java developer but am willing to learn as much as I need to to implement this solution.  I just need some direction.

Thanks in advance

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Oct 21 '16, 2:11 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Oct 21 '16, 2:14 a.m.
Start with this: https://rsjazz.wordpress.com/2012/07/31/rtc-update-parent-duration-estimation-and-effort-participant/

Your other assumptions and statements are correct.
Ryan McBryde selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Ryan McBryde commented Oct 21 '16, 2:05 p.m.

Thanks Ralph,

I had bookmarked that site a year or so ago and then the work effort had been abandoned and now I am with a new client and they want to do the same thing.  
So THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

I will jump into the deep end and slog my way thru!

Does this apply to Version 6.0 as well?

Ralph Schoon commented Nov 08 '16, 11:25 a.m. | edited Nov 08 '16, 11:27 a.m.

Sorry, did not see this.

There is no change in the API's. I try to update observations in changes to the Extension workshop/SDK setup for the newer versions and publish that on my blog.

Ryan McBryde commented Nov 10 '16, 11:11 a.m.

Hi Ralph,

I am working my way thru the "Rational Team Concert Extensions Workshop".  I have version 6.0.1 and so I tried to follow the instructions found @ https://rsjazz.wordpress.com/2016/02/04/running-the-rtc-extensions-workshop-with-rtc-6-0-x/.  I have to say that they were less than clear when it came to explaining the difference between the Tomcat (4.0) steps and the WAS Liberty (6.0) steps.  As I am trying to set up on a Windows env, I didn't worry about the comments about Linux.  The section titled "Section 1.3 Setup the RTC Tomcat Server" is particularly confusing. I performed the modifications to the server.startup.bat file and modified the WorkShopSetup.bat file as described but can't move forward.

I am doing this so that I can create the plug-in to "roll-up" the hours from child tasks to the parent story, as you had described in your blog.  Do I need to go thru all the parts of the workshop to be able to create that plug-in?

Ralph Schoon commented Nov 10 '16, 11:25 a.m. | edited Nov 10 '16, 11:29 a.m.

I do as good as I can. Since there is very little useful feedback, there is not much progress.

Sorry to hear that you can't move forward. Since you don't provide any details, nothing we can do to help.

If you don't perform the workshop, you can still try to develop an extension. But since you don't have a working debug environment and no experience or idea what you are doing, I would consider not to try to do it. It is a waste of time and will likely not end well or take 10 to 20 times longer than if you did the workshop.

I have seen many here in the forum that refused or failed to setup the debug environment failing miserably and wasting everyones time in lengthy discussion threads.  

Ryan McBryde commented Nov 10 '16, 5:49 p.m.

HI Ralph,

First of all, my apologies if I sounded like I was criticizing the work that you have done. Nothing could be farther from how I feel. I am extremely grateful that you have done what you have. I have been able to move forward and have made it up to Lab 5, Adding an Aspect Editor, and plan to got thru Lab 6 also, unless there is a reason not to go that far.  I appear to have a functioning debug environment and I am planning on using it to follow the code you shared to develop the extension to roll up the hours. I completely understand the need to get a grasp of the fundamentals before proceeding.  As mentioned before I am a complete neophyte when it comes to doing this and so was just trying to understand if it was the best way to get there.

In case I didn't say it strongly enough, THANK YOU!

One other answer

permanent link
Ryan McBryde (5711130) | answered Nov 16 '16, 9:40 a.m.

Hi Ralph,

I have made it up to the last module and have made it to step 18 in Lab 6, where it asks for the project to be shared and describes the way to select Jazz Source Control and then the component.  In my 6.0.1 instance I am not seeing the option to select source control when I share my project. Any idea as to what I have done wrong?

I tried to upload the screen shots to show what I am seeing but my "reputation score" does not allow it.  (Has to be greater than 60 apparently.)

What I am seeing is that when I share the project I get a box with my repository listed myadmin@localhost and then a place to select a component but there are none shown, the box is completely empty. The Login, New Component, and New Folder buttons are all grayed out. There is an option to create a new repository but I wasn't sure how to proceed in that area.

Any help would gratefully accepted.

Ryan

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.