It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

createPasswordFile creates an XML file

Yaniv Nili (111) | asked Oct 18 '16, 4:04 a.m.
edited Oct 18 '16, 4:06 a.m.
 Hi all,

*** RTC server version is 6.0 iFix003 *** 
*** jbe.exe doesn't have a version number, but it's dated 5/19/2015 ***

We periodically change our password for the build user, and use the -createPasswordFile option to encrypt it.
Up until the last time we created it (about 3-4 months ago) the password file contained only the password itself, encrypted, 24 characters long.

But now, the command produced an XML file that looks like this:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?>
<!DOCTYPE properties SYSTEM "http://java.sun.com/dtd/properties.dtd">
<properties>
<comment>4.0</comment>
<entry key="password">*****************************</entry>
</properties>

Personally I don't have any problem with it, but when trying to re-run old build, we're getting this error:
com.ibm.team.repository.common.TeamRepositoryException: Unable to get password from passwordFile "C:\PATH\FILENAME.txt"

Stripping the XML to contain only the password, doesn't work, we get "wrong credentials" error.

Does anyone have any clue about this, and how can it be fixed?

Thanks, Yaniv

Comments
Lakshmi Narasimhan T V commented Oct 18 '16, 4:53 a.m. | edited Oct 18 '16, 5:02 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Is the JBE's version that produced the password file same as the one that is consuming it? For eg, JBE 6.0 produced the file which is consumed by JBE 5.0?

Yaniv Nili commented Oct 18 '16, 5:02 a.m.
Thanks for the reply.

Not sure what it means... The jazz engine files are not versioned.

We have a listener service running on our build machines, called "JBE-Listener".
The process name is JSL.exe, and looking at it's creation date, it's much older than the JBE.exe (JSL is dated to 12/2009).
Does it answer your question?

Yaniv Nili commented Oct 18 '16, 5:13 a.m.

I saw you added more questions.

So this is what I know - the configuration of the build machines is the same for at least two years.
There is, however, a difference in the dates of the listener (jsl.exe) and the jbe.exe.
jsl is from 2009, jbe is from 2015.
It still a mystery to me why the format of the password file has changed.
I don't remember any system update to these machines that is relevant to RTC or build engine...

One answer

permanent link
Alan Sampson (93749) | answered Oct 20 '16, 12:36 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Oct 20 '16, 12:40 a.m.
After a lot of digging through old downloads I have determined that the cut over to XML format for the password file is RTC 4.0.x.

I located a 3.0.1.6 copy of the Jazz Build Engine and running the following:

jbe -createPasswordFile pw.txt

creates a file containing a single line of what appears to be Base64 encoded text.

Running the same command with a version 4.0.0.1 JBE generates an XML file as you described in the original post.

From this experiment my determination is that the JBE that is being launched by your "JBE-Listener" is from a version prior to RTC version 4.0.

It's not a good idea to be using clients that are more than 1 version older than a server so if you are connecting to RTC 6.0 servers you need to upgrade your jazz build engines to RTC 5.0 at a minimum.
(Note: RTC version 2.x and RTC version 3.x have reached end of life and are no longer supported by IBM)

I conclude that the "JBE_Listener" tool is launching an old version of JBE (3.0 or older) and as "JBE_Listener" is not part of the CLM Build System Toolkit you will need to locate the author of that tool and have them rework it so it launches a compatible version of JBE.

Comments
Yaniv Nili commented Oct 25 '16, 10:24 a.m.

Hi Alan, Thanks for your reply.

Your suggestion to upgrade to a newer version of the build system made sense to me, so I downloaded "RTC-BuildSystem-Toolkit-Win64-6.0.zip" (our RTC server is 6.0), and used it to generate a new password file and run builds with.
However, the results are the same, still getting "Unable to get password from passwordFile"...
The new password file is exactly the same as before.

JBE-listener is just the name of the service that the JSL creates.
JSL was downloaded from here:
And its configuration file was customized for our needs (mainly path changes)

Sridevi Sangaiah commented Oct 26 '16, 3:55 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Would it be possible to have just the 6.0 version of JBE in the build machine and see if the error still occurs, just to make sure that the JSL is launching the 6.0 JBE.

Thanks,
Sridevi

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.