It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

full text search

Ilona Krammer (159447) | asked Oct 11 '16, 10:57 a.m.
I need to find all work items which contain a certain phrase or word in a certain attribute field - how can I do this?

The full text search doesn't seem to help really because it searches through all fields... (?)

Plus it gives me results I don't even understand where they come from! The Lucene search score is sometimes only a few percent but the result is there even though I really have no clue where it found the exact phrase and part that I'm looking for - and I don't want the system speculating on what I might have meant but just give me exactly what I ask for..

How can I accomplish that?

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Oct 11 '16, 11:32 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
If you try to create a query and add the attribute, it tells you what you can do.

Large strings can only be searched with the full text search - that attribute if you add it to a query tells you.
Medium and small string support "Contains" that you can try.

Comments
Ilona Krammer commented Oct 12 '16, 12:41 a.m.

I was afraid so - though that's absolutely ridiculous for just about all searches and queries we need to do!

Is there any other way/workaround to solve that problem - I mean, this is major really!

And could you explain the result from the full text search? For me there's not the slightest logic behind that to be honest

Donald Nong commented Oct 12 '16, 12:54 a.m.

The below article should give you a better idea.
https://jazz.net/library/article/824

Basically, almost everything you "type" goes into the _content category. Also, the other categories may give you an unexpected result. Let's say there is an attribute called "Approved By" in the work item, and when you search "approved", you may be thinking of work items with comments or descriptions containing "approved", but in fact all work items with the "Approved By" attribute populated will appear in the result set.

Ralph Schoon commented Oct 12 '16, 2:40 a.m.

You can always come up with enhancement requests for the query model. I found things I wanted changed and did.

Ilona Krammer commented Oct 13 '16, 9:22 a.m.

Well, it's not about an enhancement - it's about getting what one would expect. If I search something and the term is not part of any of the work items I don't want to get any results - with the Lucene search (that I can't seem to configure at all if I'm right?) I am getting results that I am absolutely not interested in and I cannot do anything about it.

It's not that an enhancement is needed - a whole new search and query model is needed. It's nice if a search is fast, but if I'm getting results that are - rubbish to be frank - the whole thing isn't worth anything I'm afraid.

How am I supposed to "sell" this to any users?

Ralph Schoon commented Oct 13 '16, 12:19 p.m. | edited Oct 13 '16, 12:21 p.m.

I have learned over the last 20 odd years that what I expect is not necessarily what others expect and, with respect to software, is implemented in said software.

The tools are in heavy usage for years and they work as designed. If your expectations don't agree with the design and implementation than an enhancement request is the only way to go.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.