It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

6.0.3M6 - resource links - can you link a file to a file?

Steven Hovater (10921) | asked Oct 07 '16, 1:21 p.m.
 hi all
Installed RTC 6.0.3M6 (only). Created a configuration. Attempting to link from file1 to file2, both are checked-in.
None of the relationships that one can create appear to be valid.

Has anyone else done this? 

Being new to GC, I may have issues there, but ... should file-to-file linking work?

Seems the documentation around this only points to linking files to test cases or requirements (in a configuration).

thanks,
Steve

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Oct 10 '16, 6:02 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Steven,

as far as I know there is no file to file linking, there never has been and I looked into . You can link a work item to a change set and that is it. GC does not change anything in that respect.

What would you want to achieve doing this?

Comments
Steven Hovater commented Oct 10 '16, 8:44 a.m.

hey Ralph!

Well, maybe I should be precise. File version to ... linking is being worked in 6.0.3M6.
The question is the "..." . The documentation describes links to test cases or requirements, but  (file) version to another (file) version?
Reason this is important is that we need a deeper traceability story.

cheers
Steve

Ralph Schoon commented Oct 11 '16, 10:40 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Sorry Steve, this somehow slipped my attention.

I can't answer this. I was looking for that detail, but I couldn't find it. If there is a way to link file versions together I would assume there is a special link type. The requests I have seen in the past where more driven by trace-ability to requirements or test cases and not between file changes. But to be honest, I don't know.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.