It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Difference between Actively managed with Design Manager and Managed externally using import definition

Deepali Deshmukh (8913759) | asked Sep 28 '16, 3:22 a.m.
edited Sep 28 '16, 3:26 a.m.
Hi All,

I am new to design manager. I have my models in matlab and need to import them to DM 6.0.2. I have a project area in DM which is Actively managed. What is the major difference in Data Management modes Managed externally using import definition and Actively managed with Design Manager. In what ways is Actively managed with Design Manager better than the other. Can anyone help me with the links or documents with some use-cases on Actively managed feature. I have browsed the below links, but need more depth knowledge.
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSB2MU_8.1.3/com.ibm.dm.rhap.client.doc/topics/t_dm_create_domain_profile.html
https://jazz.net/help-dev/dm/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.dm.rhp.simulink.doc%2Ftopics%2Fc_rhp_dm_simulink_overview.html

Regards,
Deepali Nigade

One answer

permanent link
Pritesh Patel (12246) | answered Sep 29 '16, 7:34 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
 Hi Deepali,

The main difference between an externally managed and actively managed project is the persistency of the models (e.g.  the Matlab models). By persistency, I am referring to how the model will be managed using a source control system. 

I suspect that if you have matlab model, then you can only use the externally managed mode. Rhapsody models can reside in a actively or externally managed project. 

For Actively Managed projects, the Configuration Management of the models is performed by Design Manager (VVC based), where models are modified and saved directly from Rhapsody Client on the Design Manager server. You can use the Rhapsody client to Create the model on the DM server or move the model to the DM server from the Rhapsody client. 

For Externally Managed projects, a SCM tool (e.g. RTC, ClearCase, etc) will manage the models and these models models are modified in Rhapsody client locally, managed by the external SCM tool. Models are periodically uploaded to Design Manager by the Import Engine. 

I would not say that any one of the above is better than the other. It really boils down to how to intend to use DM, For example, if you currently have all your Matlab models controlled by ClearCase and you only intend to publish the model for others to review, then perhaps the easiest option would be to use an externally managed mode. 

I also wanted to point out that when you use the actively managed mode, VVC is used for configuration management. This is a very basic configuration management mechanism and in no way as elaborate and complex as say RTC, ClearCase, etc. So bear that in mind when deciding. 

Others here in the forum may have other use cases, but I think it really depends on how you want to use DM with your Matlab models. 

I hope that this helps a little. 

Many thanks,
Pritesh...

Comments
Deepali Deshmukh commented Oct 03 '16, 2:45 a.m.

Thank you Pritesh it really helped me!
My models are in matlab, To publish these models in DM I am using simulink manual importer for externally managed project in DM. Similarly i want to publish models to actively manage project in DM. When I am trying to publish to the actively managed project in DM , its not showing me the project area name .How can I do this?

Deepali Deshmukh commented Oct 12 '16, 4:22 a.m.

Is it possible to use Actively Manage feature for Models in Matlab.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.