It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Jazz upgrade and process template deltas - impacts to projects?

Norman Dignard (356688167) | asked Sep 27 '16, 2:23 p.m.
Upgrade Jazz CLM from 5x to 6x.   In doing so and deploying the v6 templates, we noted a few things that I hope to get clarification on.

1. In v5 there was a Openup template, in v6 there is not. What happens to projects seeded from the template?
We noted that you cannot delete templates that were used to seed a project. Don't really know why as it has no relevance to projects seeded from it. You can't change the template without creating a new one. So if a project is seeded with it, does the upgrade follow the same rules in not deleting the template?  (We upgraded our testbed but did not have a Openup based project on it but our production system does which has not yet been upgraded.)

2. Deltas between v5 and 6 Agile/Formal templates. We noted some differences in IBM's OOTB templates. Do we need to retrofit existing projects seeded from v5 templates with these deltas?  I assume the v6 template changes address issues or new functionality which bears the question what does not work in projects seeded from v5 templates is the changes are not incorporated?

3. New Code review functionality. In the code review whats new/demo, it was mentioned that there are some changes required to projects processes in order to make use of it and that they would post this info on what is required.  I haven't found this info yet. Does someone know whats needed that can enlighten me?

2 answers

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Sep 29 '16, 5:44 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
For 3, see Donald's answer.
For 1 and 2, here is my understanding as to what is going on:
Upgrading a repository upgrades the Process Configuration of all the process templates.   But note that "upgrade" just means "compatible with the new release", it does not mean "add new features added to the process templates with that id in the new release".   One you have upgraded the repository, in the Eclipse process area creation wizard, you have an option to "Deploy Templates".    That will add all new pre-packaged process templates from that release, and will also update the Process Configuration of any previously deployed pre-packaged process templates (wiping out any changes you might have made to that process template, so if you want to keep those changes, change the ID of that process template so it doesn't get overwritten).  Note that this of course has no affect on any project areas that were previously initialized by that process template.
So for 1:
The upgrade to v6 upgrades your openup template and all your project areas initialized by that template to be compatible with v6 (as well as all your other templates and project areas), but no semantic upgrades are done (obviously, since there no new version of the Openup template).
I agree that you should be able to delete (or at least archive) any template, whether or not any project areas have been initialized from it ... if you agree, add your vote to work item Delete a process template after all linked projects have been archived (350553) .  And yes, upgrading does not remove the "seeded from" pointers, so you cannot delete those process templates after upgrading.
And for 2:
Yes, you need to manually retrofit existing projects seeded from v5 templates with the changes, if you want those process upgrades.   Of course, this is a lot easier if you have a single parent process area, so you can upgrade that parent and have those upgrades inherited by the child process areas.  The release notes for a new version should say what the differences are in the new pre-packaged templates, and if they don't, file a defect against the User Assistance category.

Comments
Norman Dignard commented Sep 30 '16, 8:01 a.m.

Thanks for the reply however you statement on "wiping out any changes you might have made to that process templates" is not correct. You cannot modify the exiting template. You need to ingest a new version of the template (new name/id). The deploy new templates, over rights the original template. as for the release notes, I have not seen any info on template changes, hence this post.

Geoffrey Clemm commented Oct 01 '16, 12:24 a.m.

What makes you believe you cannot modify an existing template?   Just open up that template, and modify it (assuming you have permission to do so).  For example, create a new repository, deploy templates, modify the process configuration of one of the deployed templates, do another deploy templates.   In my tests, this overwrites ("wipes out") the changes you made.   The changes are of course still available in the history of the process configuration of that template.

Ralph Schoon commented Oct 01 '16, 9:37 a.m.

I am pretty sure Don and Geoff got it right. Some information around this - not all - can be found here https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Deployment/SetupProjects and here as well https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Deployment/RTCProcessFundamentals

permanent link
Donald Nong (14.5k414) | answered Sep 28 '16, 12:19 a.m.
The first two questions are due to a common misunderstanding - when a project area is created, it has no links to the process template any more. Think about it this way - the project area simply "copies" the configuration from the template. This is very different from where you set up a parent project area to serve the process configuration to all its child project areas.

For code review, you can check out the below document.
https://jazz.net/help-dev/clm/topic/com.ibm.team.scm.doc/topics/t_code_review_tool.html

Comments
Norman Dignard commented Sep 28 '16, 7:42 a.m.

I think you have a misunderstand on your first point. I know that there is no visible direct link between the template and a project created from it aside from the description in the project properties.  In v5x however here is some form of control on deleting templates. It does not allow you to delete a template if a project was created from it. I do not know if this behavior changed in v6x.  

As for my 2nd question - As you stated , a project copies the "template" to instantiate its process hence the question remains. After upgrading and deploying the "new" templates there as deltas between v5 a v6 templates. The existing projects don't get updated with these deltas.  

Donald Nong commented Sep 28 '16, 9:53 p.m.

Right, "link" is not the correct word to use here. It remains true though updating the template does not affect the existing project areas, and updating the project area does not affect the "linked", "referenced", or "seeding" process template. See below discussion on the same topic.
https://jazz.net/forum/questions/38165/understanding-process-templates-and-configurations

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.