It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Export work item data to word

Ilona Krammer (159447) | asked Sep 22 '16, 5:59 a.m.
To generate release notes we would like to be able to export a set of work items (and a specific set of attributes within those work items) to word

How could I do that? All export possibilities that I found are only excel and html but no word.
I do know that there is the separate Rational Publishing Engine but as far as I could see that would mean additional software - and additional licensing costs. So the question obviously is: can I do it without that additional tool and what would be the best way?

Thanks in advance!

Accepted answer

permanent link
Miguel Tomico (5001323) | answered Jan 12 '17, 5:11 a.m.

Sorry for the late response, but I've seen this post and I wanted to add that,

if Rational Publishing Engine is not an option because of the learning curve and licensing costs, there might be other options. For example:
- BIRT may be a decent-enough alternative if the Word output doesn't need to be too sophisticated (BIRT is not as full-featured as RPE for the Word output). It shouldn't be too difficult to implement.
- If you can use the Eclipse client, another solution may be a Java Client API program using the Apache POI libraries to generate docx file/s. This probably requires more effort, plus these libraries also have limitations, I think.

Ilona Krammer selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Ilona Krammer commented Jan 17 '17, 9:02 a.m.

Thank you very much for your answer!
We are looking into BIRT right now but we're not sure yet if it is exactly what we need.

We might up ending to write a Java program. Since queries and reports don't really work as expected either we might need to write quite a few additional things anyway unfortunately

One other answer

permanent link
Lily Wang (4.9k714) | answered Sep 22 '16, 9:12 p.m.
RTC does not provide the function to export work items to a Word document.
There was a enhancement request Exporting Epics and User Stories (or any workitem) to MS Word submitted for such function but closed as "Won't Fix". In the comment 3 it mentioned you can implement using RTC Java API.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.