It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Why does same project show different data when opened with the Eclipse and the Web Client on Ubuntu?

Eliah Ninyo (21315) | asked Sep 21 '16, 8:59 a.m.
edited Sep 21 '16, 9:13 a.m. by Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645)

i'm using RTC client 5.0.1. i'm running on ubuntu 14.04 (linux).

i installed the plugin on my eclipse (neon) as my developing environment.

now i have another problem. the project area is different when i open it in eclipse (with the eclipse plug-in) and when i open it in web.

for example, when looking in the "Roles" in eclipse, i have no roles (!). but in the web i see the 4 defaults roles.

any idea why there is a different? (i would like to add screenshots, but i cann't)

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Sep 21 '16, 9:11 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I don't. With no data there is not a lot of chance to analyze. In any case, if you complete a question, then you should create a new question if you have a new question. You can edit your text. Feel free to provide more information like the versions and the like.

Also see How should I ask a question in the Forum if I want to receive useful answers? for some useful considerations.

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Sep 21 '16, 9:18 a.m.
I find all these aliases such as Eclipse Neon confusing. Why on earth can they not stick to a version number? I am not going to google that up. Anyway be aware that these are the system requirements https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Deployment/CLMSystemRequirements50 and the problems you have might be due to Eclipse compatibility problems. See the supported Eclipse versions above and also note that the latest versions officially supported are

IBM Eclipse SDK 4.3.2 and future fixpacks     * IES 4.3.2 New for 5.0
IBM Eclipse SDK 4.4 and future fixpacks     * IES 4.4 New for 5.0.1

IES means IBM Eclipse SDK which is a special Eclipse that has more fixes than the Eclipse from Eclipse.org might have.

Your problems could be related to something like this.

Comments
Alan Sampson commented Sep 21 '16, 12:19 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

FYI: The "IBM Development Package for Eclipse" can be downloaded from developerWorks here:http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/jdk/eclipse/index.html

Eliah Ninyo commented Sep 22 '16, 1:54 a.m. | edited Jan 12 '17, 3:31 p.m.

thanks Ralph,

I don't understand the connection. eclipse is eclipse. a plug in should work on any eclipse. I'm using the Eclipse.org release not something special of IBM. the problem is the data content of what I see in eclipse not that it doesn't work.

@Alan - the link you pasted is for windows. I'm using Linux.

too bad there is no support for it.

Ralph Schoon commented Sep 22 '16, 2:31 a.m. | edited Sep 22 '16, 2:32 a.m.

If you see differences in data between the Web UI and Eclipse, that indicates the Eclipse bit does not work properly.

"I don't understand the connection. eclipse is eclipse. a plug in should work on any eclipse."
That is a broad statement that is in general wrong for all I know and based on my experience. It also underestimates the complexity of RTC which is not just on plug in. We don't put in the versions in the system requirements https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Deployment/CLMSystemRequirements50 for fun.

Eliah Ninyo commented Sep 22 '16, 4:22 a.m.

hi,

thanks again for the quick answer.

I notice something strange regarding my issue so I'm not sure this is an eclipse issue.

when I open my eclipse, and I connect to the project and then press to "open" it, everything opens fine (I have a screenshot). I open the "process configuration" tab and I see there are roles in the list (Product owner, scrum master, etc.).

but the moment I press the "Roles" on the tree view, it gets the "unconfigured" in brackets next to it. if I press another place (like "Project Configuration" below "Roles") and press back on "Roles", then I see nothing in the "Defined Roles" table.

all of this prevent me from delivering. since when I tried to deliver I get the following error:
Problem
The following affected projects contain errors:
  ChessProject

Reason
If you release changes when there are compilation errors in your workspace it often means that your changes have broken something else.

Eliah Ninyo commented Sep 22 '16, 4:23 a.m.

(continue)

this is what I see in the "team Advisor":

Problem
The following affected projects contain errors:
  ChessProject

Reason
If you release changes when there are compilation errors in your workspace it often means that your changes have broken something else.

Please do not release code when your workspace doesn't compile.

Solutions
Overrule 'Clean Workspace' Precondition

Why did this happen?

Eliah Ninyo commented Sep 22 '16, 4:24 a.m.

I guess this is happening because that I have no rules since I have no roles... :--(

by the way, if I go to the "Process Configuration Source" I see there in the xml the section of the "roles" is full with what I expected to see.

I don't understand this :-(

any ideas?

Ralph Schoon commented Sep 22 '16, 4:43 a.m.

As already mentioned your problem is most likely caused by using an incompatible Eclipse version or some other issue with your Eclipse client.
Use an RT C Eclipse client that comes with RTC to verify the problem is with your Eclipse set up.
The preconditions are configured for the everyone role. So by default they work for every user. This can be checked in the Web UI project admin page. Again, your problem is most likely a different one. Clean workspace prevents delivery if you have compile errors.

Eliah Ninyo commented Sep 22 '16, 6:33 a.m.

hi thanks again.

I will check the RTC eclipse client. but this won't help me since I need to work with my code on my eclipse developing environment... :-(

because of this problem I don't have any role in the eclipse view. in the web UI there is no problem. since I don't have any role, even not the default one, this error appears.

of course my project is compiled with no error. this is why this is not because of the errors that I don't have. this is because of the roles which are not readable in the eclipse unfortunately

Ralph Schoon commented Sep 22 '16, 6:50 a.m. | edited Sep 22 '16, 9:07 a.m.

Again, I think you confuse cause and symptoms.

If you have a role as per the Web Admin UI, you have one in the project area and if the Eclipse integration in your Eclipse version says otherwise, that is likely due to an issue with the integration or set up or even Ubuntu which has been notorious for having issues with Eclipse based on posts on this site.

If you can't provide any information from the workspace .metadata/.log file that would help (or a decent version number of the Eclipse you installed RTC into), we can not help. Please contact support to open a PMR, they can ask more specific questions.

Eliah Ninyo commented Sep 25 '16, 3:56 a.m.

thanks,

unfortunately I can't paste here screen shots so it is harder to understand.

I will open a PMR.

your support is really appreciated!

showing 5 of 10 show 5 more comments

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.