It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Jazz SCM : Accepting Changes overwrite local Changes

Salman Shaikh (23412873) | asked Sep 19 '16, 9:49 a.m.
edited Sep 19 '16, 3:56 p.m. by David Lafreniere (4.8k7)
Lets suppose 2 developers are working on same project
Dev1 :  Modified Test.java File (Delivered on the server)
Dev2 :  Working on Test.java in local Sandbox

Now the scenario is Dev2 received incoming change-set with file Test.Java and he accepted the change-set. The Accept operation just overwrite the Local sandbox File on Dev2 Machine and he lost all changes.

My Question is there should be some Pop Up or alert for merging / overwriting the file? Is there any workaround/option for this?

2 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Sep 19 '16, 9:52 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Sep 19 '16, 9:54 a.m.
I am pretty sure that the client would detect the pending changes locally and during accept it would ask the user (in a pop up) if they want to check in their local change. The user can either check in the change or stop the accept and check in and suspend the change. Or they can ignore the messages and overwrite the local files.

Comments
Salman Shaikh commented Sep 19 '16, 10:05 a.m.

That is default behavior, But if there is a conflict it should ask for merge or conflict.

Ralph Schoon commented Sep 19 '16, 11:20 a.m. | edited Sep 19 '16, 11:29 a.m.

There is only a conflict if there is a change set. I think I have pretty accurately described the scenario. Here the error message that pops up:

It also tells you, if you carefully read the message, that if you don't check in, your changes might be overwritten. If you ignore the message and accept anyway and the change happens to affect the file/component you changed locally, it is overwritten and gone.

Ralph Schoon commented Sep 19 '16, 11:27 a.m.

Note that you can set an option and that is set by default to "Enable Backup in Shed"

See https://jazz.net/library/article/191 section "RTC Source Control's Backup shed" and some data is going there. You can also try to compare the file with the local history and try to recover the change.

permanent link
Dinesh Kumar B (4.1k413) | answered Sep 19 '16, 10:02 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Ideally that is a conflict situation and should prompt the user for resolving it.  If a Auto-resolve is not possible, (in your case, autoresolve wouldn't be possible because any tool would not automatically know if the incoming content is to be kept of the local content), it will allow the user to resolve with mine (local changes) or resolve with proposed (the incoming changes).  Based on the users action, the local or the remote content would be used.

Below is an article that describes various conflicts and also the tool behavior when such a conflict occurs :
https://jazz.net/library/article/39

I believe the first Example discussed here matches your case : https://jazz.net/library/article/39#Example_1

It also suggests ways to resolve specific kinds of conflicts.

Comments
Salman Shaikh commented Sep 19 '16, 10:17 a.m.

The above scenario occurs when we change on the same lines in same files not inĀ  my case. Plus as per example i am also having files under unresolved folder but it doesn't asked for changes Resolve options. That's what i am looking for that their should be option.

I get Resolution related options when i have checked-in my changes before accepting the change-set.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.