It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Why does the Work Item History display "Omitting overlong change details"?

Ralf Moser (111) | asked Sep 13 '16, 9:53 a.m.

As of late we see in some Work Item the message “Omitting overlong change details” in the History.

Where is this coming from?
How can I access the missing historical data?
How can I avoid this?

4 answers

permanent link
Kevin Ramer (4.5k8183200) | answered Sep 13 '16, 2:31 p.m.
edited Sep 13 '16, 2:43 p.m.
Suppose your work item has  Large Text or HTML attribute.  It is possible to change only a few characters of the attribute value, but the history may be filtering that down. 

As an example, I support many projects that interact with IBM RETAIN.  The text record of a PMR can exceed 32k and every update to that PMR updates the text...

Nothing is missing, it's just suppressed.

permanent link
Ralf Moser (111) | answered Sep 14 '16, 5:42 a.m.

Looks like that you face the same problem. Hopefully this is the case and no data loss was happening.

But still the most important question is: How can we solve this? How is it possible to get this information which changes are done?

Do we need to open a PMR? Or is there a workaround solution?

Comments
Kevin Ramer commented Sep 14 '16, 9:06 a.m.

I seem to recall that there was a means to expose this when the item was viewed.  In what I see only 1 of the many attributes changed is suppressed and it is of type Large String.

I could not find any description of this in looking at the "New & Noteworthy" sections back to v4.    I doubt PMR would help.   Though maybe some of the real experts will weigh in....

permanent link
Jayasimha K S (1335) | answered Sep 29 '16, 9:05 a.m.
edited Sep 29 '16, 9:29 a.m.
Yes. Still the main question of how to see these "Omitted Overlong change details" in the audit history remains. Why raising a PMR doesn't help? Is there any other possibility?

permanent link
Stefan Oblinger (170213) | answered Jun 21 '23, 3:29 a.m.
The audit history can be accessed with APIs like:
- Plain Java
- Reportable REST

Using Reportable REST, the history of the Description attribute of a certain Work Item can be retrieved with following call:

https://HOST:PORT/ccm/rpt/repository/workitem?fields=workitem/workItem[id=WORKITEMID]/itemHistory/(modified|description)

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.