It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to start CLM (RDNG) without VNC?

Jorge Alarcon (411022) | asked Sep 12 '16, 12:56 p.m.
Hi

I would like to know if is possible to start RM / RNDG / RRC remotely using a ssh session and let the converter with a display assigned to it.

I've tried using ssh -X <server> and then start the app and it works but as soon as I close the connection the application stops working.

Currently we a re using TigerVNC sessions to start the application but we want to stop doing this.

Can someone please advice?

Regards

Accepted answer

permanent link
Bas Bekker (1.4k4) | answered Sep 12 '16, 2:27 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Sep 12 '16, 2:39 p.m.

What application stops working: DNG, or just the converter? And what DNG version are you using and on what application server, i.e. Tomcat, Liberty, WAS?

Assume you run on Linux, as you are using ssh. Think on Linux independent what application server you are using, when starting it with the startup scripts, it always detaches from the terminal session.

For WAS I am using a script like this from the [WAS install dir]/AppServer/profiles/AppSrv01:

#!/bin/sh
killall Xvfb
Xvfb :5 -screen 0 800x600x24&
DISPLAY=:5.0
export DISPLAY
bin/startServer.sh server1

It would be something similar when running Tomcat/Liberty, here from [CLM install dir]/server using a script like this (haven't tried this though):

#!/bin/sh
killall Xvfb
Xvfb :5 -screen 0 800x600x24&
DISPLAY=:5.0
export DISPLAY
./server.startup

Also look at this article https://jazz.net/library/article/1089

Jorge Alarcon selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Jorge Alarcon commented Sep 12 '16, 3:08 p.m.

Hi Bas

Yes, I am running everything on Linux, and what it stops is the entire application.

I tried your solution and it works perfectly fine!

Thanks so much for the help

One other answer

permanent link
Kevin Ramer (4.5k8183200) | answered Sep 12 '16, 3:24 p.m.
I've used Xvfb to set up a pseudo-display for the converter app on Linux VM.  I can vnc to that VM but vncserver is not necessary for the converter app.

In the tomcat startup I added

export DISPLAY=:2
xhost +

Xvfb is started from a script in /etc/rc.d/init.d and the converter soon after ( on boot )

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.