It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to create a report which reports reopened defects per day within a time interval

Elaine Humphreys (2327) | asked Sep 05 '16, 11:02 a.m.
What is the best method for creating a report that details the number of reopened defect per day for a specific time interval i.e. historical reporting of reopened defects? I have seen reference to Rational Insight for this type of reporting but am wondering is Insight suitable for downloading to a laptop or is it intended for more distributed use?

One answer

permanent link
Kevin Ramer (4.5k8183200) | answered Sep 06 '16, 2:58 p.m.
Deployment of Insight ( or IBM Cognos BI with ALM Connector ) is not a simple process and requires knowledge that should be known only to the administrators of the jazz repositories (i.e. database names, database server names, database Id and database password ) as well as an adequate machine to host the application.

If you have RTC ( v5 or later ) the Jazz Report Builder ought to be available to you.  There is historical data avaliable and a few pre-defined reports ( example:  Average Time in State ) that might make a good starting point.  

If Insight, RRDI or Cognos BI w/ALM Connector are deployed, they would be accessible under the WebUI Reports menu ( menu item: Using Cognos ).   There is documentation of the report dictionary in the Reference section of the RTC,RQM, etc Knowlege Center.

Comments
Elaine Humphreys commented Sep 07 '16, 5:51 a.m. | edited Jul 21 '17, 3:28 p.m.

Thanks for the clarification of how Insight is used.

I am using Jazz Reports for a number of reports - however I have one report where I want to display the following for defects in the same chart:

(1) Current Open Backlog
(2) Open Rate
(3) Closure Rate
(4) Reopen Rate

I can show (1) through (3) on the report but have not found a way to show (4) on the chart - see below. 

Kevin Ramer commented Sep 07 '16, 4:53 p.m.

It might be that Reopen is an action, not a status ( by default it is ) which results in the work item returning to whatever the initial state might be.  I found an Reopen transition on Task which takes the work item back to In Progress ( not New ).    Also there are state groups on the work flow that "bucket" Open vs Closed.   Open may contain multiple status values ( New, In Progress,  Reopened [ I found this status on Defect work flow ] ) and the ETL may collapse multiple status into Open / Closed.

Elaine Humphreys commented Sep 08 '16, 3:21 a.m. | edited Jul 21 '17, 3:28 p.m.

Hi Kevin,

Reopened is a state - we have an action 'Reopen' that sets the state to 'Reopened'.
On my chart I have 3 total counts:

(1) Creation Trend for work item
(2) Resolution trend for work item
(3) Totals trend for work item

I have set the conditions below which gives me a bar chart which shows the number of defects created, closed and total backlog for the past 3 months. I would like to show the reopen rate also. I have tried adding this as another totals trend - but I cannot find a way to add more than 1 totals trend [one for total backlog and the other for total reopened defects].

Start date (Date) after (including) 3 months ago
    End date (Date) before (including) Yesterday
    Type (Totals trend for Work Item) is Defect
    Status (Totals trend for Work Item) is any of In Progress, New, Reopened, Resolved, Waiting for 3rd-Party, Deferred
    Severity (Totals trend for Work Item) is any of Blocker, Critical, Major, Minor, Normal
    Type (Creation trend for Work Item) is Defect
    Type (Resolution trend for Work Item) is Defect
    Filed Against (Creation trend for Work Item) is not in subtree Cyber Watson, XFE_ExtremeBlue, XFE Ecosystem, XFE US
    Filed Against (Resolution trend for Work Item) is not in subtree Cyber Watson, XFE_ExtremeBlue, XFE Ecosystem, XFE US
    Filed Against (Totals trend for Work Item) is not in subtree Cyber Watson, XFE_ExtremeBlue, XFE Ecosystem, XFE US

Elaine Humphreys commented Sep 08 '16, 4:18 a.m. | edited Jul 21 '17, 3:28 p.m.

Hi Kevin -

I have found this morning that I am not getting any result data back for creation and resolution trends - has something changed on the server as I have made no updates to my report?

Thanks.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.