It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Does anyone have a suggestion for an RQM test script where a user wants to iterate over test data for one step of the script only?

Jamie Berry (14013693) | asked Aug 31 '16, 3:39 p.m.
Hello,

We are using RQM 5.0.2 at the moment and I have a user who is moving some test procedures into RQM as test scripts.  One of his procedures involves a step that is to be repeated multiple times for different sets of data from an accompanying table.   At first glance, I thought using Test Data with the script would do what he wants but when he tried it the iteration via RQM repeated the entire test script not just his one step (step 2 in his case) for each instance of the data.  I understand why this is so but it doesn't help my user...  I then suggested he attempt to make a script out of the one step and associate it with the test data.  Then use the single step script as a Keyword and insert it into his larger script.  When he tried this, RQM didn't even offer him the ability to iterate at all.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how he can structure things so he can capture the results of this single step repeated for all his test data (or selected entries)?  The only thing I can think of is to split his test case and script into 3 parts:  before iterated step, iterated step, after iterated step, and then execute them in sequence.  This isn't ideal and I am hoping there is another option I am missing.

On a slightly related topic, does anyone have any suggestions for handling conditional steps in an RQM script?  He also has steps that are only to be executed in certain cases and wants to skip them in other cases.  For now, I am just recommending he use one of the Execution States to represent skipping a step (possibly renaming the state).  Is there another way to do this?

Thanks,
Jamie.

One answer

permanent link
Subhajit Bhuiya (6222) | answered Sep 16 '16, 3:10 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
 Test data row will iterate over all the steps of the test script. Also, conditional execution of step is not supported. Your suggestions are proper. Please create enhancement for it.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.