It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

showing suspicion within modules with link types 'parent of' and 'child of'

Bart Fransen (1145) | asked Aug 31 '16, 10:19 a.m.
Hello everybody,

Within Doors Next Generation 6.0.2, I've made some modules with requirements stored in these modules. Lots of requirements are related with each other by the link types 'parent / child of'. 

What I would like to see is that if I make a change in a requirement, the linked requirements will have a suspicion flag. The problems which I'm encurring at the moment:

- If I want to make the suspicion profile, I can chose 'child of', but the option to chose 'parent of' is not possible.
- If I make a change to a requirement, I cannot see any suspicion within the module. If I make a change in a requirement on the artifact page, I do see the suspicion. How can I use the suspicion within modules? I hardly work on the artifact page, only in the modules.
- What I've noticed is that only the first linked requirement is suspicious. Is is possible to see a suspicion throughout the whole "link chain", the requirement tree so to say. If a parent requirement will change, I want to know what the consequenses are in my sub-sub-sub system, and not only on the first linked requirement.

I hope that my questions are clear and there is someone who knows the answer!

Thanks guys/girls!

Grts,
Bart

2 answers

permanent link
Diane Everitt (27835) | answered Aug 31 '16, 12:34 p.m.
Hello Bart,

With regard to:
- If I make a change to a requirement, I cannot see any suspicion within the module. If I make a change in a requirement on the artifact page, I do see the suspicion. How can I use the suspicion within modules? I hardly work on the artifact page, only in the modules.

It is a known defect:                                           
https://jazz.net/jazz03/web/projects/Requirements%20Management#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=107095

I am not sure on the other questions. Perhaps, someone else will chime in...

I hope this helps.
Diane

Comments
Bart Fransen commented Sep 01 '16, 4:44 a.m. | edited Feb 04 '17, 5:21 p.m.

Hello Diane,

Thanks for the answer. If I check that defect en try to make a suspicion profile without any selected attributes, it does work. It is not optimal, but Oke, for the time being, it is a nice feature.

So the following questions are remaining:

- If I want to make the suspicion profile, I can chose 'child of', but the option to chose 'parent of' is not possible.

- What I've noticed is that only the first linked requirement is suspicious. Is is possible to see a suspicion throughout the whole "link chain", the requirement tree so to say. If a parent requirement will change, I want to know what the consequenses are in my sub-sub-sub system, and not only on the first linked requirement.

I did some thinking on the second one myself and it is not that bad to not see a suspicion through the whole chain persé. If the change has no effect on the first link, it will not have an effect on the underlying requirement. If it does have an effect and the requirement will be adapted, the following link will get a suspicion. So I can see this one is answerred as well.

Only the first one remains, which is kind of weird, because you want to see what effect a change on a parent requirement has on 'his' child requirements. Also the other way around, but I would expect to see the 'parent of suspicion link' as well.

Thanks in advance again!

Grts,
Bart

permanent link
Hugh Lippincott (199) | answered Jan 30 '19, 4:02 p.m.

Bart,

The directionality is a function of System Design.  One starts with the highest level of User Needs or Requirements, subdivides those general requirements into more (and more) specific requirements, into implementations and tests.
So the changes link down the same way.  E.g.up-link? No, a safety or security legal standard doesn't to allow the use of a specific set of software library functions; Down-link? Yes if the legal standard changes then all the requirements derived from it must be reviewed for impact.  Then, as above, if there is no impact, then no change, only the impacted sub-requirements change, and .. implementations and tests.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.