It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Added RTC comment with REST-API that mentions a user but no email notification is sent

Stuart Cornell (1135) | asked Aug 03 '16, 12:15 p.m.
I am successfully adding comments onto RTC work items via REST-API and JSON format from python.
I want the change to generate an email notification to a user so I'm including an @username mention in the text.
This text is correctly identified by RTC and a 'mentions' link is added to the item but the user does not receive an email like "You were mentioned in .."
If I manually add a similar comment from the RTC Web interface an email is sent.
Are notification deliberately disabled for REST-API updates? I can't see this anywhere in the documentation

One answer

permanent link
Kevin Ramer (4.5k8183200) | answered Aug 03 '16, 12:50 p.m.
Are the target users allowing Mentions in their Email Settings ?

Is RTC @ v6.0 or greater ?  Twice since upgrading to 6.0.2 from 5.0.2 users have opened issues stating that email is not as reliable as it once was.   In 6.0 was added "Aggregate Email Notices" that seems to expect a certain email template [ which is not in latest Scrum template it seems ].   The work around was to disable the "Aggregate Same WorkItem Changes in Single E-mail" in the CCM Advanced Properties.

I opened PMR 65041,442,000 about this.

Comments
Stuart Cornell commented Aug 04 '16, 3:20 a.m.

Hi Kevin. Thanks for the reply.
Yes the user has the options set for mentions. As I said, they receive them if I manually add a comment with a mention in.

Stuart Cornell commented Aug 04 '16, 4:25 a.m.

Oh and it's RTC 5.0.2

Stuart Cornell commented Aug 04 '16, 4:35 a.m.

Can you please confirm that emails should be generated after REST-API changes just like with the web UI?

Miguel Tomico commented Aug 04 '16, 5:01 a.m.

Can you make sure those users are members of the Project/Team area or Access Group?

Your case may be different, but I experienced a similar problem when using the API. It turned out to be a permission problem.

https://jazz.net/forum/questions/208888/server-side-script-causing-work-item-notification-emails-not-being-sent

Kevin Ramer commented Aug 04 '16, 2:39 p.m.

To be clear:  My PMR is to address apparent dropped e-mails in v6.0...

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.