It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Is there any simple way of creating tasks work items in RTC?

Unknown User (1112) | asked Jul 30 '16, 4:04 a.m.
In our project, we have a minimum of 20 stories being delivered every sprint. we are tracking the status of these stories by creating tasks. Is there any simple way of creating them. 

I have seen the solutions like importing from CSV files through eclipse client. But is there any more simpler way?

3 answers

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Jul 30 '16, 9:50 a.m.
I think workitem templates are much more useful, we don't want 'anyone' to use csv import, cause once u create them its hard to make them go away.

as for users incorrectly using templates.. well, thats a training issue.. something u have either way..

Comments
Susan Hanson commented Jul 30 '16, 10:17 a.m.

Agreed.  We didnt' allow anyone to do the import.  Since we did this once per Sprint/Milestone, and only an admin could change the "Current Iteration" in RTC, we had a process where the Admin would do a set of tasks including changing the current iteration and importing the csv to generate "this Milestone's" tasks.

permanent link
Susan Hanson (1.6k2201194) | answered Jul 30 '16, 7:25 a.m.
Importing from CSV is really easy and, in my opinion, is the easiest way :-) 

There are also work item templates that can be created in advance (in the configuration of the project area) and then someone just says "create work item from template", chooses the template, and there you go.

My experience with both is:
1) Work item templates are okay as long as you don't need to make any change before the new work items get created.  The CSV file, you quickly edit the csv and then import
2) The Create work item from template is very visible to everyone in the UI, and we would have people mistakenly say "create from template" instead of "create" and I guess hit enter too many times and we would get all of these "extra" work items that we just had to go cancel as invalid later.

Comments
Unknown User commented Jul 31 '16, 12:11 a.m.

Hi Susan,

Can we do the importing csv files without Eclipse client?

sam detweiler commented Jul 31 '16, 8:20 a.m.

no.. currently, export/import is only via Eclipse..

Geoffrey Clemm commented Aug 01 '16, 1:41 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Note that CSV import via the Web is in the 6.0.3 plan and is currently being implemented (see https://jazz.net/jazz/resource/itemName/com.ibm.team.workitem.WorkItem/374563).

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Jul 30 '16, 5:42 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Work Item Templates? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzrj4DjrVIc

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.