It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

process sharing issue-Any solution other than coping the whole process configuration source XML from provider to consumer. i have got more than 60 projects running which need this new attribute to be enabled in their process.

kesav d (1915) | asked Jul 23 '16, 3:03 a.m.
retagged Aug 05 '16, 2:13 p.m. by Ken Tessier (84117)
 process sharing -i have marked one project (provider)-Allow other project areas to use the process configuration from this project area and i have configured two consumer projects  -Use the process configuration from another project area for this project area and mapped the provider project.

now i am adding one new attribute in provider and saving it but i am unable to see the new attribute consumer which i  have added in provider .

And i have also checked the in consumer projects (Final(ignore customization of this data in child project areas).

Any solution other than coping the whole process configuration source XML from provider to consumer.
i have got more than 60 projects running which need this new attribute to be enabled in their process. 

3 answers

permanent link
Ken Tessier (84117) | answered Aug 05 '16, 2:12 p.m.
The Sharing the process of a project area help topic contains this note:

Note: Rational Team Concert 4.0.1 includes early support for fine-grained customization, which allows you to customize some configuration data in project areas to extend a shared process without cutting off inheritance. This early support covers the following use cases and requires manually copying snippets of XML into the process specification:
  • Adding a new attribute to a work item type and adding that attribute to the work item editor for that type.
  • Adding a new literal to an existing enumeration.
  • Adding a new enumeration type.

Ken

Comments
sam detweiler commented Aug 05 '16, 2:52 p.m.

that has nothing to do with the problem at hand.. his projects were not setup for process sharing (consumers) correctly.

the fine grained support DEPENDs on the correct setup.
I have posted some observations on how one might use this to get almost setup correctly (right process model), back under control..

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Jul 24 '16, 1:28 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Have you verified that the consumer project areas were initialized by the "unconfigured process" process template?   If not, the process XML in the consumer project area will override what is inherited from the provider project area.

Comments
kesav d commented Jul 25 '16, 4:35 a.m.

thanks Geoffrey.

yes ,it is already configured based on on formal project management ,and project got records more than 500 now..is there anyway i can make it to "un configured process" and use process sharing concept.

sam detweiler commented Jul 25 '16, 7:52 a.m.

no. process sharing depends on the target process having no personality of its own, so it can inherit the shared process personality.

so what you have is a mash pit of attributes.. some local, some shared (if you have final set for everything in the shared process).. when there are two of the same, you get both..its ugly.. even deleting all the process config source of the target project won't help, as the data items are in the database, and they will always be used.

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Jul 23 '16, 9:59 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Jul 23 '16, 10:06 a.m.
Have you considered to ask support and create a PMR? Also see How should I ask a question in the Forum if I want to receive useful answers? for details about what you should have provided if you wanted to help your answer being answered. This should work in general. I think I remember occasions where there were delays or problems.

Under the assumption that your other project areas where created using the "unconfigured process" template, of course.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.