It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Customization tips needed

Giovanni Quarella (111) | asked Jul 16 '16, 6:02 p.m.
 Hi,
a customer asks me a customization for Rational Team Concert.

In fact users before a commit must link in some way the change set to a bug of the customer's bug tracking system. Then the paths of the committed files should be inserted in a table of bug tracking system database.

I do not know Rational Team Concert, so I read some documents and at the moment it seems to me the solution is to create a mandatory precondition and associate an attribute to a work item. The value of this attribute must be queried from the customer's bug tracking system database. Then maybe in a followup I have to update this db with info about the committed files.
I can't find a full examples, can I have some advice?
Is better to procede in some other way?

Thank you

Giovanni Quarella

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Jul 18 '16, 2:40 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

You are aware that RTC has a full buck tracking system built in, that allows to link the SCM change sets to the work items/defects? The second part is quite mysterious too. Why would you want to add just another database with the paths?

Giovanni Quarella commented Jul 18 '16, 2:52 a.m.

My customer asks me to link RTC to his bug tracking system. I will get the job if I, first of all, can establish the customization can be done.

One answer

permanent link
Michele Pegoraro (1.8k14118103) | answered Jul 17 '16, 4:39 a.m.
edited Jul 17 '16, 4:40 a.m.
Hi,
follow this link, in Ralph blog there are a lot of examples: https://rsjazz.wordpress.com/2015/09/30/learning-to-fly-getting-started-with-the-rtc-java-apis/

Michele.

Comments
Giovanni Quarella commented Jul 17 '16, 3:24 p.m.

I know that blog, but it is a starting guide. First of all I need to understand if such an UI client customization is possible, because If is not, I drop the project.

In fact I've seen this rather old thread https://jazz.net/forum/questions/1701/can-we-modify-the-ui-of-a-work-item-editor and UI customization seems limited

Michele Pegoraro commented Jul 18 '16, 4:13 a.m. | edited Jul 18 '16, 4:15 a.m.

I'm not sure about what UI customization you are referring to.. if it is an additional field, as I imagine, yes it is possible.

The way you described seems good: you cannot link the change-set to an external bug system, but you can link a work item to that with a cross reference (url in this case). You have to create a follow-up action that set call something to set the reference on the other tool (a rest api? java api? command? whatever) and then the cross reference on the work item in a custom field (or using link?). Or you can create a demon that check this custom field on wi and create the linked bug. There are many ways and depends on the constraint.

Is it possible? yes. Is it simple and reasonable? Not too much. In my experience I've been always asked for the opposite way: from an external tool create a work item so I'm not really sure about the purpose of working in RTC and creating a parallel object somewhere else, unless there are other tools like RTC managed by that tool, but in that case I would more focus on architecture problem...
Maybe you can talk with the customer to find a better solution.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.