It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RQMExcelImporter on one machine to be accessed by different users

Don Yang (7.7k21109138) | asked Jul 14 '16, 4:11 a.m.
Customer has RQM 5.0.2 and Excel 2013, because they need to support TLS1.2, they have to install
RQMExcelImporterSetupForDotNET45 as per the below info:

====

Starting from CLM 4.0.5, RQM Word/Excel importer starts supporting TLS 1.2. To use this feature, users need to install .NET Framework 4.5 or above, Microsoft Office 2013 and install RQM Word/Excel importer with the installer named RQMExcelImporterSetupForDotNET45

==
They have one machine with this add-in installed. However, only the installer who can see the add-in menu
and when other users log on to the same machine, add-in menu is missing.

For other installer such as RQMExcelImporterSetup.msi, there is an option "just me" and "everyone" so that we can select Everyone to enable all the users to see the add-in menu on the same machine.
However,
RQMExcelImporterSetupForDotNET45
does not have this option and it seems that by default, it installs as 'Just me' and there is no option for everyone.

Does anyone know how to make installer

RQMExcelImporterSetupForDotNET45 work for everyone on one machine
or this installer is only for the installer by design?

Thank you very much.

One answer

permanent link
Donald Nong (14.5k414) | answered Jul 15 '16, 2:20 a.m.
I believe Excel Add-ins are for individual user profile by default, and this is how the installer works (only write the registry keys to the current user's profile). To make the add-in available for all users, you need to copy the registry key to the "Local Machine" hive. Here is how you do it.
1. Install the Excel Importer Plugin.
2. Launch "regedit".
3. Locate the registry key for the plugin (you will see the exact path at the next step.
4. Export the key and the registry export file should have the below content.
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\Excel\Addins\MSO2RQM_Excel_connect]
"FriendlyName"="RQM Excel Importer Add-in"
"LoadBehavior"=dword:00000002
"Description"="RQM Export Utility for Excel"
"Manifest"="file:///C:\\Program Files\\IBM\\RQMExcelImporterX64ForDotNET45\\RQMExcelImporter.vsto|vstolocal"
5. Change HKEY_CURRENT_USER to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE in the file.
6. Import the modified registry.

Now all users should see the RQM Excel Importer plugin.

If however  you only want selected users to see the plugin, then don't modify the file, but ask each user to import the file exported at step 4 instead.

Comments
Don Yang commented Jul 15 '16, 2:59 a.m. | edited Jul 15 '16, 2:59 a.m.

Thanks Donald for the suggestions.
I tested locally but it does not work.

I noticed that I installed RQMExcelImporterForDotNET45(as my Excel is 32bit) and LoadBehavior"=dword:00000003
instead of LoadBehavior"=dword:00000002.

I did not restart my machine, just log off and logon again with a normal user(not local admin) but that user does not see the add-in menu.

I tried silent install using something like:
msiexec /i RQMExcelImporterSetupForDotNET45.msi /qb /norestart /Lime excel_logfile.txt ALLUSERS=1
but this does not work for RQMExcelImporterSetupForDotNET45, only installer can see the menu.
If I tried with RQMExcelImporterSetup.msi in above install, it works for all users: everyone can see the menu.
(as if I installed for everyone)

I am not sure what's wrong with RQMExcelImporterForDotNET45 installer on my machine.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.