It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Customizing the Burndown Report with BIRT

Ryan McBryde (5711130) | asked Jul 06 '16, 5:56 p.m.
I was reviewing the answer to Kim Soederhamn regarding "Modifying existing RTC reports" on Jazz.net.  I am trying to do something similar but instead of adding a filter I am trying to get the burndown report to use a customer defined attribute, or set of attributes, instead of the built-in Iteration.  For example, the burndown report appears to take the a value for iteration, otherwise known as "interval".

When I create a report in RTC, using "burndown" as the report resource, I can set a variety of parameters for that report; Team Area, Category, Timeline, Iteration, Type, Severity, Priority, Week Days, Details, Tags, and Offset.

What I am trying to do is to substitute the value for Iteration, and if necessary Timeline, with a custom attribute, "program-level-sprint" for example, and use that attribute instead of the value set for Iteration.

I have imported the OOTB burndown rptdesign file into my Eclipse client and have opened it in the Report Design perspective.  I can see and set the Data Sources;  Common, Live, Scripted,  and Work Items.  I can get it to produce a burndown chart for me after selecting the Repository, Snapshot, and Project Area.

From what I can see of the Iteration attribute type, it is tied to the Iterations that have been defined for the project area and if I create a custom attribute that is defined as an Iteration type, it will look for it's value to come from the ones defined for the project area.  After reviewing the Iterations Data Set, I can see that it has 4 components; ID, NAME, STARTDATE, and ENDDATE.  Accordingly I have created 4 custom attributes;  myiteration_id=integer, myiteration_enddate=timestamp, myiteration_startdate=timestamp, and myiteration_name=small string.

Following the steps in the answer to Kim, I was trying to experiment to see if I could get my copy of the burndown to recognize these custom attributes, as a first step.

I started with the "All Burndown" and "Open Burndown" data sets. I changed table from WORKITEM_STATES to the WS_BOOL_EXT table. I checked the boxes next to the "KEY" and "VAL" rows in the "Select Columns" box and in the "Select Parameters" box. I did not touch anything else, to select it or un-select it.  Because, as you said, the KEY column is intended as a parameter, I clicked on the Parameters section in the left side menu and entered the value for my custom attribute know as myiteration_id. Then for VAL I entered the integer "3".

I made these changes to both All Burndown and Open Burndown.

Then I made the changes prescribed for the all the Data Sets beginining with the word "Live"; Live All Corrected Est, imate, Live All Duration, Live All Negative Corrected Estimate,Live All Negative Duration,Live Open Corrected Estimate, Live Open Duration, Live Open Negative Corrected Estimate, Live Open Negative Duration, Live Open Negative Time Spent, Live Open Time Spent, Live Total Count and Live Total Not Estimated Count.

I added the BOOLEAN_KEY and BOOLEAN_VAL columns, selected them as parameters, and populated them with the same values as above;  BOOLEAN_KEY= myiteration_id and VAL=3.

Should making these changes as described, all me to produce the "standard" burndown report, except that it only reports on the stories that have a 3 in the myiteration_id attribute?

I am being prompted for values for "FROM_TIME" and "TO_TIME", I am assuming that those values are the start and end dates for the selected iteration, is that true?

I am getting a BIRT error message that states, "There are errors evaluating script "myiteration_id". ReferenceError:"myiteration_id" is not defined.

I took the name of my custom attribute, "MyIteration_ID" which has an ID of "myiteration_id".  Is that what I am supposed to use?  YOur information said to pass in "the id of the attribute here as a literal"

Am I on the right track?

RTC version 5.0.2 in production, and 6.01 in test. 

One answer

permanent link
Rafik Jaouani (5.0k16) | answered Jul 20 '16, 9:41 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Ryan, Item based custom attributes are not exposed to BIRT. So I really doubt you will be able to achieve what you are trying to do.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.