It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to store negative value in Duration field in RTC task??

Pratima Rajput (133) | asked Jul 04 '16, 10:59 a.m.
 I want to store calculated negative value in one field of Duration datatype which can be negative.
Is it possible??

Comments
Geoffrey Clemm commented Jul 04 '16, 1:04 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Just for interest's sake, what is the meaning of a negative duration?

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Jul 05 '16, 2:23 a.m.
As far as I can tell duration is a long value so you could get it negative. It just does not seem to make sense for me, why you would want that. I am not sure what the editor presentations and other calculations will do if the value is negative. It is certainly not designed and tested for this.

Comments
Pratima Rajput commented Jul 05 '16, 5:51 a.m.

Actually I have created 1 attribute with Duration datatype in RTC WI. And I want to store calculated value in it which will be (Estimate time - Timespent). As if owner of Work item will estimate 4 hours and actually he needed 5 hours i.e.Timespent  then it will return negative value.
In that case i wanted to show calculated negative value in New attribute.

Ralph Schoon commented Jul 05 '16, 5:56 a.m. | edited Jul 05 '16, 5:57 a.m.

You are aware that the editor presentation would not allow you to save a work item where the time spent time is bigger than the estimate (or corrected estimate)?
Since this is the case it would be pointless to have this as far as I know.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.