It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

migrate from old RTC to new RTC . how can migrate the documents from streaming

Faisal Farooq (1318) | asked Jul 01 '16, 6:26 a.m.
is there any way to migrate document along with work items from old RTC to new RTC . Can stream be helpful in this regard ??

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Jul 01 '16, 10:37 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I am sorry, but it is almost impossible to tell what you are trying to do. As long as you can't be more specific, I doubt people will be able to answer. I can imagine several scenarios you might want to do, none is likely enough to spend more time to try to answer.

Faisal Farooq commented Jul 02 '16, 2:36 a.m.

Hi Ralph ,
I have a RTC 3.0  now i want to move to RTC 6.0 . need to migrate data (workitems) from RTC 3.0 to RTC 6.0 along with attachments.  could not find a way to do this . if attachment dont copy then is there any way to do this as there are lots of data to move and thousands of attachments. ?

Can we download the stream ?

One answer

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Jul 02 '16, 7:33 a.m.
there is no way to copy data from one to another.. period..

the ONLY supported way is to upgrade the current environment.

but.. there is no single step to get from 3.0 to 6.x..
you must  upgrade 3 to 4, the 4 to 5 , then 5 to 6.

here is the V5 interactive upgrade guide
http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSYMRC_5.0.1/com.ibm.jazz.install.doc/topics/roadmap_clm_upgrade.html?cm_mc_uid=53017375855014660967018&cm_mc_sid_50200000=1467458870

and the V6 upgrade info
https://jazz.net/downloads/clm/releases/6.0.2?p=upgrading

i wrote a utility for a customer a couple years ago to do this kind of migration (different machines and deployments), using a 'man in the middle' design.
copied 3->3(man in the middle system), upgraded man in the middle to target system level, then copied 4.x(man in the middle) to 4.x

Comments
Faisal Farooq commented Jul 02 '16, 7:46 a.m. | edited Jul 02 '16, 1:10 p.m.

Sam,
I have old server which has 3.0 . now i have other server where we are running latest RTC 6.0 so now we want to move work items along with attachments to the latest RTC. In this regard there are issues to download work items with attachment and then upload work items with attachment . need to know how can we automate that or any other workaround for this.

sam detweiler commented Jul 02 '16, 7:55 a.m. | edited Jul 02 '16, 1:11 p.m.

you can export workitems and import to the other system, BUT, you don't get attachments, approvals, many links are not exported/imported correctly. all the workitem numbers change.

net.. there is no way to do what you want with the product supplied capability.

the utility we wrote (I did all the non-workitem data, but designed the workitem migration process) did alt this. it took 7 man months to write, AND we still had to migrate the system to get to the right level.. (thus the man in the middle system we could migrate).. I could not touch the source system, as it was being used all day every day, so we put it into read only mode for the migration period, and the target system had to be ready on the next work day..
we used export import for the bulk of the workitem data, and the utility did attachments, approvals, links and comments (cause the export/.import left all the links broken).

Ralph Schoon commented Jul 02 '16, 1:13 p.m. | edited Jul 04 '16, 2:48 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I agree with Sam. I did some work for work items in https://rsjazz.wordpress.com/2015/11/03/a-rtc-workitem-command-line-version-3-0/ but it is experimental and you would have to try if it works for you and fix problems on your own.

If you want to be able to bring any work item data over the only way would be export/ import with loss of history. the built in export/import is limited to bring attachments over you will need to use the API.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.