It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How can I set Team Area without Filed Against?

Hakki Bozkurt (1631228) | asked Jun 30 '16, 3:49 a.m.
 Hi All,

We have a lot of team and we are using team area features for SCM items but we arent using for workitems.

Now, we need this. How can i set team area manually? I dont want to set or use filed against.

2 answers

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Jul 01 '16, 12:47 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Just define your categories to just be identical to your team area names (and of course, map each category to the correspondingly named team area).   Then as far as your users are concerned, when they set filed-against, they are just setting the team area.

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Jun 30 '16, 4:00 a.m.
You can't.

What you can do is add a new work item attribute of type TeamArea, you can select arbitrary values there, but it does not change the owning team area. As far as I can tell that is only determined by the category.

Comments
Hakki Bozkurt commented Jun 30 '16, 4:22 a.m.

Hi Ralph, thank you for your answer. 

Yes i can add new attribute, can i use this attribute for RRDI's report?

Eray İzgin commented Jun 30 '16, 4:42 a.m.

We have story workitems and related it sub workitems. The story workitem is parent and sub workitems are children. 

We start to use Report Builder and want to use some reports about stories.In our organization there are IT teams. We mapped the teams with RTC Team Area. 
Now we dont set category area in story WIs and team area. For using the reports and getting workitems belong to Team Area/IT Teams, I think we need to team area values. It s not easy for us set the category values because team members dont know exact value. Our categories list mapps to IT services.

Ralph Schoon commented Jun 30 '16, 4:50 a.m. | edited Jul 01 '16, 2:26 a.m.

I believe that custom attributes are available in RDDI.

Note: a lot of the planning capabilities are dependent on the category and you will not be able to use them properly if it is not set.

With respect Eray's comment. The purpose of the categories always was that it was supposed to make some sense to the user and allow him to at least guess. It can provide more context than the team area name can. You can also have subcategories that are picked by the team that uses them.

Incoming work items also should be checked by a responsible person that could potentially change the category if needed.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.