It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

What is the "Included Indirectly" column in the Locate Change Sets editor?

Morten Madsen (3053150) | asked Jun 20 '16, 3:43 a.m.
edited Jun 29 '16, 11:04 p.m. by David Lafreniere (4.8k7)
If you right click a change-set and select "Locate change-set", you will get the very nice feature to search for the change-set in different workspaces and streams.

The search "hits" will be marked "included directly" and "included indirectly".

Does anyone know what "included indirectly" means?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Jun 24 '16, 3:11 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
For almost all use cases, you can ignore the difference between "included directly" and "included indirectly".

But in case you still care about the difference (:-) ... In recent versions of RTC, you have the ability to merge a change set to a workspace without accepting change set that it depends on.   This produces a "clone" of the change set (that is not based on the changes that you didn't want to accept).   If a workspace/stream contains one of these clone change sets, it is considered to "indirectly" include the change set that was cloned.  
Ralph Schoon selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Jun 24 '16, 3:36 p.m.

Thanks Geoff, I was wondering as well! 8)

Morten Madsen commented Jun 25 '16, 9:45 a.m.

Thanks a lot Geoff. Yes, I have definitely seen the automatic "close gap" feature, but wasn't that added in v6.0? We're running 5.0.2.

A related bonus question:

I saw this behavior when we were wondering why a build was failing. I have written some code to do automated builds based on the work item status, and I've also written some automated gap detection, so that the build will clearly tell you "This build needs the work items: x, y and z to close the gap". So my code reported this gap. When I did a "locate change-set" it reported that - that particular change-set was already included in the target stream (indirectly), but when I did a "show in history" on that file in the stream, that change-set was NOT there. I don't know how this has occurred, but I'm quite puzzled.

Geoffrey Clemm commented Jun 25 '16, 6:05 p.m.

The "merge the gap" feature was introduced in RTC-5.0 (https://jazz.net/downloads/rational-team-concert/releases/5.0?p=news).   So somebody in your organization was using this feature.   What you are seeing is what is expected: when you look at the history of a file, it only shows you the directly included change sets, not the indirectly included change sets.

Morten Madsen commented Jun 26 '16, 12:01 p.m.

Thanks a lot again! :-).

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.