It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Project Area in IBM CLM

Muhammad Moid (141334) | asked Jun 10 '16, 2:03 p.m.
edited Jun 14 '16, 1:49 a.m. by Muralidhar Rajagopal (10114)
 Hi,

I have few questions related to Project Area which is continuously confusing me to strategize our IBM CLM implementation.

When we should create a new Project Area in IBM CLM? 

Do we need to create new project area for every project? for e.g. Mobile Banking (Project Area), Loan Application (Project Area), Internet Banking ( Project Area) etc

How many number of Project Area can we create in IBM CLM 5
0.2?

Thanks in advance.
Moid

2 answers

permanent link
Kenny Smith (302513) | answered Jun 14 '16, 4:02 p.m.
This is a bit of a gray area, but here are some conditions to consider:
  1. Security - do users of one project area need to be isolated from other users?
  2. Resources - are the people working in one project completely different than another area?
  3. Architecture - are the applications/project completely independent of one another (including not dependent on another's web service or API).
  4. Do the project march to a different cadence or methodology? (i.e. Scrum here, waterfall there)
A project area has a certain amount of administrative overhead. That includes setting up timelines, iterations, team areas, users, roles, and permissions. When a person is in two project areas, his/her project allocation is split accordingly. Thus resource loading and balancing in project planning becomes more complex. 

I prefer to keep as much as I logically can in one project area, and then divide by team area and category. This requires that all the development projects march to the same methodology (i.e. project template). While you can have multiple timelines in a project area, I also prefer to march to a single timeline so everyone has consistent release schedules as well. Careful planning of your categories and team areas will make this possible. 

Comments
Muhammad Moid commented Jun 16 '16, 2:02 a.m.

If I go with one project area with different team areas and I have multiple projects. How can I manage the projects in RTC? Is it with different streams?

How can we use the complete life cycle (i.e. starting from DoorsNG, RQM & RTC) of projects, staying on one project area?

permanent link
Kenny Smith (302513) | answered Jun 16 '16, 9:21 a.m.
 A stream can be moved between project areas, and can flow to streams in other project areas. While interaction with the stream must adhere to the behaviors and permissions of the configured project area, they are relatively independent of the project area in the sense that they can be moved wholesale between them, and flow to other streams. 

For managing the complete lifecycle, from DNG, RTC, RQM, its easiest to have just one project in each. Its less complex to configure. At the very least, have a 1:1 :1 relationship between each of them for a given RTC project. While, you can have a 2:1:2 or other relationship, the configuration becomes complex, and confusing to the user community. My recommendation is to go with the simplest configuration that can possibly work - it will be easier on the users and easier on the administrators. Just because it can be configured in a more complex way does not mean that you should.

I would highly recommend a structured RTC training course, particularly training for advanced source control, and project management. 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.