It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RQM Word Importer: Import created new test case instead of updating existing one

Karen Bown (2739) | asked Jun 10 '16, 8:41 a.m.
Hi, I was able to get past the hurdle documented in https://jazz.net/forum/questions/220926/how-to-resolve-rqmimporter-input-string-not-in-correct-format-issue; however, when it was able to connect a couple of things happened:
  1. It created a new test, 59, instead of updating the existing test 57.
  2. It added two new sections to my test case "DOCTableStartRow" and "ID".

I need to be able to UPDATE test cases. I don't expect us to be creating NEW test cases in this fashion; just doing UPDATES.

Is there something special that needs to be done?

2 answers

permanent link
Don Yang (7.7k21109138) | answered Jun 13 '16, 3:52 a.m.
edited Jun 13 '16, 3:53 a.m.
Hi, Karen

Excel/WordImporter is not used to update the existing test artifacts(not supported). If test case 57 is also exported via importer and external ID is set in config file, then using the same external id you should be able to export into the same test case 57 with the specified attributes in the config file. You may consider this as "update" but it actually works as overwrite: that is, if you don't want to change any previously created(via importer as well) attribute, you still need to specify those attributes in the config file as well as those you intend to change.

Thanks

Comments
Brett Bohnn commented Jun 20 '16, 5:12 p.m.

Hi Don,

A PMR was opened for this. In this case, Karen is using the Word importer and it looks like XLSArtifactID is not supported (on supported for Excel import). She is using "testcase.ID=Table(2).C2" in her config where table 2 C2 is 57. This is not going to create a test case with web ID 57, there is no way to that that I know of. If she could use XLSArtifactID as I think you are saying with "If test case 57 is also exported via importer and external ID is set in config file" then she could update test case 57 but there is no way to specify the web ID of an artifact. Do you agree with that?

Thanks,
Brett

Don Yang commented Jun 21 '16, 9:44 p.m.

Hi, Brett

I am not aware that this is for Word Importer and not sure if external ID is only supported in ExcelImporter. if TestCase 57 was created via importer, we may use REST API to find out if there is an ID(different from Web id) created or not(in Excel Importer, an external id will be created by the importer even though XLSArtifactID is not used. But even though we have the id, you are right that it could be no way to use that id to update the existing one, I don't know if there is any syntax to do that.

Thanks

permanent link
Karen Bown (2739) | answered Jun 20 '16, 10:27 a.m.
edited Jun 20 '16, 10:29 a.m.
Hi Don, "Overwrite" is OK in this situation. This particular issue came up during the investigation of RQM Defect 152875 and a new defect was written, RQM Defect 152996. Thanks, Karen

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.