It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC Build Engine

Yaron Norani (47267064) | asked Jun 07 '16, 9:34 a.m.
edited Jun 11 '16, 4:21 p.m. by David Lafreniere (4.8k7)
 Hi,

This is a to check whether there are some changes with build engine support for continuus integration practices.
Requirement - We would like for each deliver operation that RTC build will be executed, and start the build process - accept changes, build and so on.
Currently we do not know that there is option to execute after "deliver" (only check every few minutes).
Are there some news regarding this?

Comments
Geoffrey Clemm commented Jun 07 '16, 3:09 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Remind me ... why does one care whether a build is triggered on every delivery, vs. every 5 minutes when there are changes?   The only difference I can see is that in the latter case, you might get just a single build started for two delivers that happened in the same 5 minute interval, but isn't the only time that would matter is if you cannot tell from the build failure which of those delivers caused the failure ... and is that such a common occurrence that it is worth loading your build servers with builds that are probably not needed?

Yaron Norani commented Jun 09 '16, 2:04 p.m.

Hi, in general you are right.

The  customer has a big project managed in RTC.
They would like to understand how each single change reflect their build. 
Also, since they have lots of components, they would like to be able to perform easily rollback in case it is required.
Moreover, this capability exist for open source solutions, so they always compare..
Is it something that is planned to be developed ?

Thanks

sam detweiler commented Jun 09 '16, 2:04 p.m.

hardware and virtual is cheap. its probably sitting there doing nothing at the same price. (amazon charges for capacity by the minute, in use or not)..   might as well put it to use.,

CI (Continuous Integration) says do it every time, Improve the feedback time to your developers.

One answer

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Jun 07 '16, 10:42 a.m.
edited Jun 09 '16, 2:03 p.m.
currently there is no automated build trigger as part of the product.. there are a couple user developed extensions

see the 2 posts starting at this time " answered Nov 03 '14, 5:22 a.m" here
https://jazz.net/forum/questions/132739/jenkins-polling-is-too-slow-can-rtc-notify-jenkins-immediately

one uses RTC build definitions to launch,

and the other (mine) kicks off a script you provide, similar in design to the SVN and GIT commit/Deliver hooks.
my hook fires on deliver, enables you to do whatever u want in the script.

Comments
Yaron Norani commented Jun 09 '16, 1:58 p.m.

Thanks a lot. We will evaluate this.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.