It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Clarify Dashboard permissions

Taly Hotimsky (2714557) | asked Jun 06 '16, 11:33 a.m.
 For a long time I've tried (unsuccessfully) to grasp the security model around Dashboards.

1. Can anyone clarify what's the purpose of "Save Personal Dashboard" under a Project? Since Personal Dashboards are created outside of Project Areas (right?) what's actually driven by this permission?
2. Since Project Area / Team Area dashboards are created upon that Project/Team creation, what's the purpose of "Create" under those master items?
3. Similary, if a Project/Team Area dashboard is tied to that Project/Team's existence, what's the purpose of the "Delete" under those items?

I'd very much appreciate clarification on these items as well as a much overdue overhaul of these definitions under https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSCP65_6.0.2/com.ibm.jazz.platform.doc/topics/c_permissions.html

One answer

permanent link
Miguel Tomico (5001323) | answered Jun 06 '16, 12:24 p.m.
edited Jun 06 '16, 12:26 p.m.

IMHO, those permissions are confusing and the documentation is not very helpful. I raised a similar question to IBM support:

Q: Is it possible to prevent users from deleting their personal dashboards?

A: The Default dashboard is not in a project area context, so deleting it cannot be prevented.
Other personal dashboards are owned by the area that is chosen when the dashboard is created.

I haven't used this functionality in months, so I may be wrong, but

my interpretation of Support's response is as follows:

Project/Team Dashboards are not to be confused with Personal dashboards. Note that Personal Dashboards can start from the Standard template or from a Project Area personal dashboard template. See below screenshots:

If CCM is selected, a Project Area must be selected:

The selection of Project Area will drive:

- The content of the initial dashboard, as stated in the dashboard template:

- the permissions of the personal dashboard (create/delete).

I personally don't see the point in providing the capability to restrict personal dashboards from a Project Area template if any user can create as many personal dashboards as he wants with cross-project information, and we can't restrict that.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to raise an enhancement request or a documentation enhancement request.

@htaly, hope not to have confused you even more ;-)

Comments
Taly Hotimsky commented Jun 07 '16, 12:13 p.m.

@miguel.tomico - thanks for the response. it just seems to confirm (if I read you right) my understanding for topic 1 of my question -> The Personal Dashboard permission on a Project Area has no effect whatsoever

For topics 2 and 3, any insight?

Miguel Tomico commented Jun 08 '16, 5:10 a.m.

I just double checked, and none of those permissions seem to have any effect.

I may be wrong, but my guess is,

The Personal Dashboards model changed at some point. They were defined at Project Area level till v3 and in v4 they were changed to be Repository wide. Thus, those Permissions became obsolete.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.