It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Cannot see any templates when creating new plans

Daniel Ruebush (9715187) | asked Jun 02 '16, 3:26 p.m.
Hi Experts,
I am new to planning in RTC.

1. I have a master project area and child project area. We should
be creating the timeline and iterations in child project area, correct?

a. I added a timeline and 2 iterations to the child project area,
         however when I try to create a new plan, in child project area, it asks
me to select a template for plan, but no templates are listed, am I missing something?

2. I don't have team areas and work item categories in my project
area. Does this impact the planning activity?

3. In my customized work item, I don't use the inbuilt fields "Field
Against", "ETC", "Correction". Instead I have a customized calculated field "ETC". Should that be a problem?

One answer

permanent link
Alexandre Stegani (8664) | answered Jun 02 '16, 6:42 p.m.
Hi Daniel,

1) Timelines and iterations are not inherited when using process sharing, so you have to create these in the Child project area.

1a) when you say "template for plan", are you referring to the plan type? (Sprint Backlog, Release Backlog, etc..)

Comments
Daniel Ruebush commented Jun 14 '16, 12:00 p.m.

Hi Alexandre,
Here is the prompt I receive when I go to create a plan and select my iteration. I don't have any templates in the list and I don't know what I am suppose to see there.

Daniel Ruebush commented Jun 14 '16, 12:00 p.m.

Daniel Ruebush commented Jun 14 '16, 12:01 p.m.

Also, what are your thoughts on :

2. I don't have team areas and work item categories in my project area. Does this impact the planning activity?

3. In my customized work item, I don't use the inbuilt fields "Field
Against", "ETC", "Correction". Instead I have a customized calculated field "ETC". Should that be a problem?

Alexandre Stegani commented Jun 14 '16, 6:39 p.m.

This is actually a work item template. Basically when creating a plan in Eclipse, you have the ability to also create new work items from a WI template. If you do not want to do it, you can simply skip this step and click "Finish" to create your plan. More info here

Daniel Ruebush commented Jun 14 '16, 8:52 p.m.

Thanks Alexandre,
Your information was very helpful. Would you happen to have any insight into
If i don't have team areas and work item categories in my project will this impact the planning activity?

Also, In my customized work item, I don't use the out of the box fields "Filed

Against", "ETC", "Correction". Instead I have a customized calculated
field "ETC". Would that be a problem?

Alexandre Stegani commented Jun 16 '16, 4:15 p.m. | edited Jun 16 '16, 4:28 p.m.

I did not understand exactly what is the purpose of this custom attribute. What type is your custom "ETC" attribute? What do you use it for?

showing 5 of 6 show 1 more comments

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.