It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

View of parent stories and child tasks in project backlog

Colette Murphy (212) | asked Aug 13 '09, 7:38 a.m.
Just starting to do agile planning with the web gui in RTC. Have added some parent stories and child tasks into the project backlog but can't seem to get a view of them represented as parent and child. They aern't assigned to team members or iterations yet - is this possible? Probably really obvious but can't find it in the documentation :roll:
Cheers.

10 answers

permanent link
Colette Murphy (212) | answered Aug 13 '09, 7:41 a.m.
Sorry to clarify would like to see

Backlog
Story 1
Task a
Task b
Story 2
Story 3
Task c

etc

permanent link
Michael Scharf (781) | answered Aug 13 '09, 9:59 a.m.
see http://jazz.net/library/article/203 for a description on what makes work items appear on a plan.

Check in the sidebar if the "Execution Items" filter is enabled.
If you see the task on the plan, but the parent/child relationship is not outlined, you should switch to "Work Breakdown" plan mode.

--
MikeS
Jazz Agile Planning team

ColetteMurphy wrote:
Just starting to do agile planning with the web gui in RTC. Have added
some parent stories and child tasks into the project backlog but can't
seem to get a view of them represented as parent and child. They
aern't assigned to team members or iterations yet - is this possible?
Probably really obvious but can't find it in the documentation :roll:

Cheers.

permanent link
Colette Murphy (212) | answered Aug 13 '09, 10:21 a.m.
Thanks - I notice the relationship is there when I move them into the iteration backlog so it must be ok but I can't see the task at all in the product backlog despite turning off the execution items filter and switching to work breakdown.

permanent link
Michael Scharf (781) | answered Aug 13 '09, 11:38 a.m.
ColetteMurphy wrote:
Thanks - I notice the relationship is there when I move them into the
iteration backlog so it must be ok but I can't see the task at all in
the product backlog despite turning off the execution items filter
and switching to work breakdown.

The effect you are seeing is that the task child work items are not loaded from the server, thus not included in the plan. The filters, such as the "Execution Items" filter, only affect work items that are actually loaded.

The set of work items loaded depends on the plan's type, team area and iteration, on the "filed against" and "planned for" attributes of each work item as well as the "top-level work item type" settings, as outlined here: http://jazz.net/library/article/203
Please let me know if you are missing a specific piece of information in the article.

--
MikeS
Jazz Agile Planning team

permanent link
Chris Ratcliffe (2633330) | answered Sep 01 '09, 4:06 p.m.
I am trying to create a plan to display all of my high level plan items, as well as all of their child execution items that are part of individual sprints within the release, and maintain the parent/child relationships.

According to http://jazz.net/library/article/203 , the type of plan that I need to create such a view is a Team Release Plan.

"Team Backlog (Team Release Plan): Includes all plan items and backlog execution items for a single team across all iterations of a release. It is used to plan and track the work in a higher level, but for a single team only."

I created one of these and I associated it with my team area, and my release backlog. However, when looking at it, I still only see the items that have a planned for value of my release backlog. Any items I add to iterations within the release are no longer visible.

Am I misunderstanding the purpose of the Team Release Plan?

Thanks,
Chris

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k7180136) | answered Sep 01 '09, 4:17 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I am trying to create a plan to display all of my high level plan items, as well as all of their child execution items that are part of individual sprints within the release, and maintain the parent/child relationships.

According to http://jazz.net/library/article/203 , the type of plan that I need to create such a view is a Team Release Plan.

"Team Backlog (Team Release Plan): Includes all plan items and backlog execution items for a single team across all iterations of a release. It is used to plan and track the work in a higher level, but for a single team only."

I created one of these and I associated it with my team area, and my release backlog. However, when looking at it, I still only see the items that have a planned for value of my release backlog. Any items I add to iterations within the release are no longer visible.

Am I misunderstanding the purpose of the Team Release Plan?

Thanks,
Chris

Hi Chris

Have a look at the setting for your Team Backlog plan - you may still have the Execution Items filtered out. In the webUI - use the Edit View button and make sure the Execution Items is NOT checked in the Filter list. I just saw this on my Team Backlog plan and my tasks appeared when I turned off this filter.

anthony

permanent link
Chris Ratcliffe (2633330) | answered Sep 01 '09, 4:29 p.m.
Thanks for the response. Its definitely not checked. I do have execution items showing up in the tree, but only ones that have a Planned For value of "Fogarty" which is our release. All of the execution items which have been updated to have a Planned For of iterations within the release (like Fogarty Sprint 3) don't show up in the plan view. I am using the "Work Breakdown" view.

permanent link
Chris Ratcliffe (2633330) | answered Sep 02 '09, 4:10 p.m.
In order to get the plan to work correctly, I had to update my Process Configuration and all of my work items types as "Top Level Work Item Types". I don't think I should have needed to do that, because the plan type description indicates that both Plan Items (top level) and execution items (non-top level) should show up, for the release or any iteration within it. Should I open a defect for this? Thanks.

permanent link
Alexander Schinko (35511812) | answered Sep 08 '09, 10:13 a.m.
In order to get the plan to work correctly, I had to update my Process Configuration and all of my work items types as "Top Level Work Item Types". I don't think I should have needed to do that, because the plan type description indicates that both Plan Items (top level) and execution items (non-top level) should show up, for the release or any iteration within it. Should I open a defect for this? Thanks.

Yes please, it should be at least better documented!

permanent link
Chris Ratcliffe (2633330) | answered Sep 08 '09, 10:56 a.m.
Thanks. Defect 93927 created.

https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=93927

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.