It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Team area breakup implications

Norman Dignard (356688168) | asked May 12 '16, 3:37 p.m.

We have setup a CLM Project (RM, CCM, QM) with multiple teams in each app's PA. All the permissions, etc. are defined at the project level .  We have had some grumblings on using teams (e.g. in 502 for both RM & QM - permission inheritance do not flow down, in RTC you need to be a member at the project level to create streams) and management wants to know the implications/impacts on going to stand-alone PAs.

From what I see: 

For RTC - we can move work items, and inhale code streams. 

For DNG - I see this as a reqif export/import

For RQM - probably a similar export/import process

This however does not give a complete picture, such as what about project plans/test plans, build results, test execution records, and inter-app links eg. requirements to work items, to test cases etc..

Has anyone done a split like this and what are the implications you noted?

Anyone else have input into such a breakup?

Regards

Norm Dignard

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered May 13 '16, 4:36 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
 Moving work items preserves links. Export/import can be tricky and you usually loose some information. Plans, build results etc don't move. Plans need to be recreated, but usually only the current one is needed. Build definitions, you can create new ones based on existing ones.

Comments
Norman Dignard commented May 13 '16, 7:38 a.m.

Thanks for the info. This only addresses the RTC side however.

As for your comments on links, that is nice to know if your only "moving" work items. From the looks of it however it appears that we would have to recreate all the links to any RM or QM artifacts as these project areas would also be "split" into separate PAs from their current team area structure.  Restructuring RM & QM it appears is not as simple as the RTC side, wouldn't you agree?

Ralph Schoon commented May 13 '16, 7:57 a.m. | edited May 13 '16, 7:58 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I know a lot about the implications for RTC, because I have discussed that scenario a lot (and it is not painless). I don't know for sure what built in mechanisms exist to "move" data in RQM and DoorsNext. I assume there are none, but don't know for sure. RTC only has that for work items on one server and SCM data on one server is fine too.

Yes, I agree.

Export/import is a very painful scenario, does not matter which tool and it always looses history and requires link recreation which can be a pain and maybe not possible or supported by the tool export/import.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.