It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Is there compatible problem between different RTC Eclipse workspaces and clients?

Albert Yao (5411322) | asked May 03 '16, 11:12 a.m.
I have a workspace created by RTC Eclipse client 6.0.2, could I open or use it by RTC Eclipse client 4.0.7?
If there is compatible problem, then:
I have a folder/directory corresponding to a workspace in a PC(There are 3 different RTC Eclipse clients:4.0.x/5.0.x/6.0.x in this PC also), 
but how to determine the workspace is created by which RTC Eclipse client? 4.0.x or 5.0.x or 6.0.x?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Alan Sampson (93749) | answered May 03 '16, 1:36 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited May 03 '16, 1:37 p.m.
It's not really a function of the RTC client version but rather the underlying Eclipse version that will cause you problems.  Eclipse writes metadata to the workspace directory and checks against the client that tries to open it. If the workspace is from an older version of Eclipse the metadata will be upgraded. In the opposite case, Eclipse will issue warning messages.

Having said that; it's not normally a good idea to share workspaces with different versions of Eclipse.  See https://jazz.net/forum/questions/82339/is-it-possible-to-share-an-eclipse-workspace-between-two-different-versions-of-eclipse-at-the-same-time for a reason why.

As to the second part of your question; just knowing the RTC Client version doesn't necessarily provide you with the Eclipe version.  It is possible to have Eclipse 3.6.2, 3.7.2, 4.2.2 ... all hosting the same version of the RTC Client depending on how it has been installed (Installation Manager, plain .zip file or p2 repository plug-in).

From experience; I always give each new Eclipse installation I create it's own unique workspace specifically to avoid these types of conflicts and just import the settings and projects I need to work on to that instance. This approach means that any SCM assets I load from the RTC repository are using an RTC client of the same version as the server which provides an extra level of stability.
Albert Yao selected this answer as the correct answer

2 other answers

permanent link
Albert Yao (5411322) | answered May 06 '16, 12:44 a.m.
Thanks, Alan and Ralph!
Now I see the question belongs to the field of Eclipse, but I am not good at Eclipse, could you help this:
I have a workspace created by Eclipse, the workspace directory exists but the Eclipse has been deleted.
How to determine the workspace is created by which Eclipse version? 3.6.2, 3.7.2, 4.2.2 ... ? 32 bit or 64 bit?
I have checked the metadata and info in the workspace directory directly, but not get the answer.

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered May 03 '16, 11:59 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
I have seen that workspaces openend or created with a higher version number sometimes don't work with lowver versions. If upgrading you are told to check in changes so you can recreate the sandbox.

You can store your sandboxes in foders with version numbers - that is what I do for demo puproses.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.