It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC Project Areas Structure Definition

Cesar Ida (1815) | asked Apr 22 '16, 1:05 p.m.
  Hi all,

We are defining the RTC Project Areas structure in our company, and we are having difficulty to decide on if it would be better to create one PA for each application or one PA for each line of business/product (set of applications). Our concern is mainly regarding SCM artifacts (components, streams, repositories, etc) because we think it would be a kind of "mess" having artifacts from different applications mixed in only one PA if we follow the approach of having only one PA for each line of business/product. On the other hand, if we create one PA for each application, the maintenance cost would be very high, considering we have more than 300 applications in our company.

I would like to know if someone have used the approach of using one PA for each "line of business/product" and the pros and cons of that approach.

In our case, examples of applications would be "Credit Risk Analysis" (Java application), "Credit Limit Management" (Java application) and "Credit Workflow Management" (Oracle BPM application) an example of "line of business/product" that comprises those three applications would be "CREDIT" itself.

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Cesar

One answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Jun 05 '16, 1:04 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
To minimize administration overhead, I suggest starting with a single project area, and only introduce new project areas when they are needed.   You would then introduce a separate team area for each team (where a team is a group of people that plan their work separately from other teams).

Comments
Cesar Ida commented Jun 13 '16, 8:17 a.m.

Hi Geoffrey, thank you for your answer! But what I am looking for is experiences on this usage model and what possible problems it would bring. 

Best regards!
Cesar

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.