It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

TeamArea vs Work Item Categories

Sunita Dinakar (11413742) | asked Apr 22 '16, 7:58 a.m.
 Hi,

We have a requirement from a team that is going to use SAFe methodology. One of the requirement is that they would like to have multiple teams configured, e.g. Earth, Mars, Venus and the our work item category has products such as Browser, DB etc. We don't want to restrict the association of a team to a single product as more than one team could work on a product. At the same time, we don't want to duplicate the team area names in the category as we think categories are best suited for products/functions.Now the question is, what is the best way to configure the categories? We want to be able to plan against individual teams but at the same time not restrict them by associating to a particular product.

Thanks in Advance,
Sunita

2 answers

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Jun 04 '16, 10:49 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Work item categories have exactly one purpose, which is to automatically associated a work item to the team that should work on that work item, based on information that is provided by the work item creator.   So if there is a single team that works on a given product/function, then using product/function as the leaf categories is appropriate.  But if multiple teams work on a given product/function, then it is not.   For each team, you need to find one or more terms that characterize the work being done by that team (and no other team), where that term is one that would be understood by the work item creators.   Then those terms are then your categories.

permanent link
Susan Hanson (1.6k2201194) | answered Apr 22 '16, 8:34 a.m.
I haven't tried this personally, but I think you have a couple options:

1) I think that you can still associate a work item category to a team area, which would be the default team area when a category is chosen, but I think you can change the team area to another one .. .I don't believe that a team not associated to a work item category can't work on it.
2) Or you can created your team areas and your work item categories but not associate them ... I think the association only give the "default" team area for that work item category.  So I think if you don't associate anything, the work item category can be set and the team just doesn't get set automatically.

Susan

Comments
Sunita Dinakar commented Apr 22 '16, 12:00 p.m.

Hi Susan,

Thank you for your response. But in both cases, if I want to create a plan against a specific team then It would not list any work item.. :-(

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.