It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Question about test creation process in CLM

Petrus Leion (111) | asked Apr 21 '16, 3:13 a.m.
Hello,

The way a test case is produced in my current project feels very cumbersome and I wanted to ask here if there is a more effective way to do this. Here is how it currently works:

Create a test script
Create a test case and link to the script
Add test case to test plan
Add test case from test plan to execution record.
Then say we have environment Red, Blue, Green and Yellow, I need to repeat the steps above for each environment (well, I can duplicate TC and TS but it´s still super inefficient).

Is there a way to do it like this:
Create test scripts
Add scripts to a suite
Run the suite and in the execution record add what environment it was ran on.

What is the purpose of having to create a test case for each test script?
The administration gets overwhelming when having thousands of test scripts.

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Apr 21 '16, 4:28 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
CLM is a solution that targets enterprise organizations that are very process mature or have to become more mature.

In Quality management this usually means that you plan your testing before the software is available. Based on the identified requirements that feed implementation, you create a plan for what to test and test cases for the more detailed things you must test.

The approach taken by RQM is based on international Quality Management best practices agreed upon by the QM community. This is simply the way how the majority of companies work with these kinds of tools.

Once you have planned your tests and an idea what test cases need to be tested you specify the more detailed steps and potential automation. The actual test script is the final outcome of this process and not the starting point.

Test scripts and test automation can be very version dependent as well. In contrast the test plans and test cases are more stable. You might add more test cases, change some or remove one occasionally, but products evolve and grow usually keeping a lot of capabilities already available. 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.