It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Why manually deleted test suites don't recreate when I re-import from Excel?

Juan Pons (2123) | asked Apr 14 '16, 4:06 a.m.
edited Apr 14 '16, 6:20 a.m.
 Hi there,

I have a configuration for import testsuites in my RQM site.
It creates a testsuite and several testcases. And link those testcases to the testsuite.

At this ponit work perfectly. What I don't undestand is why when I go to my site and I manually delete the testsuite, if I execute the import again, my testsuite it's not going to be created anymore again. Why is this happening?

I updated my RQM Excel addin to version 6. Still not working.
Also to link the testsuite to a existing testplan is not working:

testsuite.tesplan = LinkExisting(EXTERNAL PLAN ID

My cfg file:

//TEST SUITE
testsuite.XLSWorksheetID="Inv. Casos Pruebas- Recuentos"
testsuite.XLSArtifactID=D2
testsuite.dc:title=D2
testsuite.dc:description=E2
testsuite.XLSLink=testcase
testsuite.testplan=LinkExisting(B2)

//TEST CASE
testcase.XLSWorksheetID="Inv. Casos Pruebas- Recuentos"
testcase.XLSArtifactID=B2 & F
/estcase.ID=B2 & F
testcase.dc:title=F
testcase.XLSStartRow=49
testcase.dc:description=E
testcase.alm:owner="myowner"
testcase.Section("myns:com.ibm.rqm.planning.editor.section.testCaseDesign","RQM-KEY-TC-DESIGN-TITLE")=Div(G3 & G & H3 & H)

Thanks in advance for your help. It's getting me crazy.
I've been reading the little documentation I found about the addin. I believe I have learnt a lot about how the tool works. But I still can't get it all I think, because I am not being able to fix or undestand this behavior.

Thanks.

3 answers

permanent link
Donald Nong (14.5k414) | answered Apr 14 '16, 11:16 p.m.
When you delete the test artifact in RQM, it's just a "soft" delete, and the artifact is placed in the trash, but still there. When you import the Excel file for a second time, the test artifacts will be created with the exact same Ids as before, and since they are still there (in the trash), the test artifacts simply get updated instead.

Comments
Juan Pons commented Apr 15 '16, 2:25 a.m.

Hi Donald, thanks for your answer.

I find this weird. The 'soft' delete I mean. Because this is not the way it works with Tests cases or Test Plans.
Only happenning this with test suites as far as I know.

Donald Nong commented Apr 15 '16, 4:55 a.m.

Can you confirm that deleting a test suite is a "soft" delete? How about test cases and test plans? I wonder what differs between these test artifacts - the way they get deleted, or the way they get created?

Juan Pons commented Apr 18 '16, 5:19 a.m. | edited Apr 18 '16, 5:21 a.m.

With test plans work fine.
It's not a "soft" delete I think. If I delete the test plan, like I used to delete test suites, and re-import, the test plan is created again. This is not happening with test suite. Why would it be the test suite deletion soft and not soft for test plan? It doesn't make sense to me.

If I delete de test case, also works fine. The test case is re-created.

How could I get to the trash and see if there is some test suites to confirm that those artifacts have "soft" deletion?

I can't wonder why these artifacts have different behaviour. Maybe it's a plugin bug or something and we're are not going the correct way.

Donald Nong commented Apr 19 '16, 5:29 a.m.

I don't currently have an environment to verify the behavior that you have observed. To view the trash, click on the gear icon at the top right corner and choose View Trash.

My theory is based on the assumption that test artifacts will be created with the same ID over and over again as long as the Excel file does not change, and you can check whether it's the case. To see the "real" ID, not the "web Id", you need to use the RQM reportable REST API, or the RQM URL Utility which utilizes it.

permanent link
Mehul Patel (9695) | answered Apr 14 '16, 12:46 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR
Juan,

Seems everything fine from Excel addin log, check qm.log if it captures any interesting information.

Regards,
Mehul

permanent link
Mehul Patel (9695) | answered Apr 14 '16, 6:45 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR
Juan,

It creates the testsuite again, I suggest to refer sample 'TestSuite with TestCases 001', try with this sample and if it is still not working, please share the log file for further investigation.

Hope it helps. 
Mehul

Comments
Juan Pons commented Apr 14 '16, 7:01 a.m.

Hi,

First of all, thanks for your answer

I've tried that before. I checked it again and It doesn't create the testsuite again.
There is no evidence or error in the log.

Juan Pons commented Apr 14 '16, 7:02 a.m. | edited Apr 14 '16, 7:02 a.m.

Log:

Initializing.....
Reading Configuration File....
Getting artifacts from document - "TestSuite with TestCases 001.xls".....
Sending artifacts to https://rational.cc.xxxxx/qm.....
Sending testcase 0 named Dead_Hammer...
Sending testcase 1 named Socially_Acceptable_Hammer...
Sending testcase 2 named Pretty_Hammer...
Sending testcase 3 named Hot_Hammer...
Sending testcase 4 named Strong_Hammer...
Sending testsuite 5 named TestSuite_with_TestCases_001_Acme_Hammers_1.xml...

Exporting completed successfully!

Detailed log file at: C:\Users\T13638\AppData\Roaming\Mso2Rqm\131051051596815355 log.txt

Brett Bohnn commented Apr 19 '16, 11:51 a.m.

Hi,

In RQM 6.0.1 using 6.0.2.36059 of RQM Excel Import I just imported from TestSuite with TestCases 001.xls with TestSuite with TestCases 001.cfg, I see identical output in the RQM Export UI:

And the suite "big suite" is created after it is deleted.

So it does seem worth looking in the qm.log immediately after import as Mehul suggested.

You might also try the same import in a new project created from "Quality Management Default Process" (although I cannot think of any project property or role issue that could case that behavior).

Thanks,
Brett

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.