It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Is there a recommended maximum number of Test Cases that would be associated with a Requirement?

Timothy Miller (13213) | asked Apr 14 '16, 12:50 a.m.

We have Rational Doors (RDNG) 5.0 product as part of our CLM 5.0.2 suite implemnted. I have a team that has a use case where they have linked 1,034 Test Cases to a single Requirement. My support team believes this is excessive. I concur and would like to get feedback as to whether or not there is a "ceiling" for TC to Single requirement. Also, what is the "best practice" for ration of Test Cases to Requirements.

We had a situation where the DataBase Transaction log area was exhausted with 200GB without a COMMIT and it hung our DB server.

Best Regards,

Tim

One answer

permanent link
Paul Slauenwhite (8.4k12) | answered Apr 14 '16, 7:29 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Although there is no limit imposed by the products (other than the hardware/DB), one of the goals of requirements-driven testing is to minimize the number of test cases (see https://jazz.net/help-dev/clm/topic/com.ibm.rational.test.qm.doc/topics/c_reqbased_tst.html).  Your example illustrates that either the requirement is too large (possibly should be decoupled into multiple requirements in a requirement collection) and/or the test cases are too granular.  I would suggest a requirement collection with smaller requirements associated to a test plan with associated test cases (1:1 or 1:few mapping of requirement:testcase(s)).  This will also make requirement reconciliation more efficient.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.