It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

CLM 6.0.1 Topology question

Narayanan Potti (27037279) | asked Apr 11 '16, 5:34 p.m.
I saw earlier post on this forum regarding CLM 6.0.1 topology. I am planning enterprise topology for CLM 6.0.1. Please let me know if the following server topology will work, all servers are Red hat Linux VMs.

Server 1 - Reverse Proxy server
Server 2 - WAS 8.5.5, JTS, LDX (Link index)
Server 3 - WAS 8.5.5, CCM, QM, RM and RELM
Server 4 - Report server - WAS 8.5.5, DCC & JRS
Server 5 - Design management - WAS 8.5.5, DM & GC
Server 5 - Database server - DB2 10.5
Server 6 - LDAP server - Apache DS

Are there any known issues with installing DCC & JRS applications on a single VM ? Can RELM be installed on the same VM as CCM, QM & RM ? Any recommendations on the RAM required for Report server and Design management server ?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks
NP

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Apr 12 '16, 2:38 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
This is the suggestion: https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Deployment/RecommendedALMDeploymentTopologies6

Please note that LQE and DCC should be installed on their own servers and not share a server with one of the other applications.

With respect to the other questions, it is impossible to answer the question, because the performance depends on characteristics such as CPU's, Memory available etc. And it is also important to understand how many concurrent users are using the system and what they are doing. See https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Deployment/CLMSizingStrategy for some hints about the different apps servicing on example hardware.

So there is no possible answer - if you don't care for performance, you can install everything on one server, but it will probably not scale to hundreds of users. You can move parts  to new servers if you have a reverse proxy, the question ids, is saving the hardware worth the trouble? 
Narayanan Potti selected this answer as the correct answer

2 other answers

permanent link
Narayanan Potti (27037279) | answered Apr 12 '16, 7:56 a.m.
Thanks to Simon and Ralph for your suggestions & recommendations,  your help is greatly appreciated !

Based on above recommendations I'll start with topology below. As more users are added to the environment I'll move CCM, QM & RM applications to dedicated VMs. It avoids need for different public URIs. All VMs are Red hat linux 64 bit.

Server 1 - Reverse Proxy server
Server 2 - WAS 8.5.5, JTS, LDX (Link index), GC
Server 3 - WAS 8.5.5, CCM, QM, RM, RELM and Converter.war
Server 4 - WAS 8.5.5 & LQE
Server 5 - Data collection server - WAS 8.5.5 & DCC
Server 6 - Report server - WAS 8.5.5 & JRS
Server 7 - Design management - WAS 8.5.5 & DM
Server 8 - Database server - DB2 10.5
Server 9 - LDAP server - Apache DS

permanent link
Simon Washbrook (67216) | answered Apr 12 '16, 2:28 a.m.
Hi Narayanan,

Your proposition follows mostly what is prescribed in the deployment wiki for an enterprise deployment (ALM-E1):
https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Deployment/RecommendedALMDeploymentTopologies6

Except that you have CCM, QM, RM and RELM on one server. If you are planning an enterprise set up it means that you have a lot of users. Running these 3 products on the same server will cause you problems as they compete for resources. They should be separated. You will get better, more consistent performance out of 4 smaller servers than one large server.

One other differences I can see are that DM (server 5) should be alone, the GC can be put on the same server as the JTS (server2). The DCC and JRS can be installed on the same server but use the reverse proxy to give them different public URLs, you can then split if you see a competition for resources.

As for memory requirements you start off with the minimum requirements and test. The increase resources as you increase the number of users and when you see performance starting to degrade. Running on a virtualised system makes this kind of tuning easier. See:
https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Deployment/PerformanceDatasheetsAndSizingGuidelines

If you still have doubts contact IBM services they have a lot of experience and will be able to customise your environment exactly to fit your needs.

Enjoy,
Simon

Comments
Danny Müller commented Apr 12 '16, 11:18 a.m.

I strongly suggest that DCC and JRS (and LQE btw) should reside each on separate servers from the beginning as a later split would require to uninstall a single app using Installation Manager which is not possible.
You can only remove all of them at once which is odd as you can install them separately.

Cheers
Danny

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.