It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to retrieve information from other system to fill the work item attributes?

Jia Jia Li (8057152192) | asked Apr 05 '16, 1:01 a.m.
The requirement is that when user type number in the "supportId" attribute for one work item, the other work item attributes such as customer name, customer contact information, problem summary can be retrieved from the support system.
We thought it will be prefect if we can add a button in the work item editor, when click the button, back-end can retrieve the attribute information from support system and set as RTC work item attribute values.
But I found the work item editor customization is complex.

Is there an easy way to achieve my requirements?

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Apr 05 '16, 5:36 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

A button would be a custom editor presentation. Otherwise I am not aware of a common way to add this to the Web and Eclipse UI. You can use this approach, but only in the Web UI: Creating a Linked Defect from a Work Item Editor Toolbar Action

2 answers

permanent link
Michele Pegoraro (1.8k14118103) | answered Apr 05 '16, 5:15 a.m.
I don't think you can do it with a button. I've done something similar calling a webservice from inside a calculated value provider, but was an internal web service loaded in the really same jazz server (otherwise there was problems calling cross-domain web service). Maybe you can achieve in a more easy way working on server side with a follow-up action

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Apr 05 '16, 5:33 a.m.

Main issue with attribute customization is: you can only set one attribute. If you can retrieve the information, you can't easily distribute it into multiple attributes. You could potentially store all the information encoded in one attribute and then calculate other attributes from that, but it ain't pretty. Also an issue would be changes in the external application that don't get back into RTC.

I have played around with these approaches and never found a really sufficient solution for it. It is certainly possible to create more advanced integrations, but that is complex and expensive.

Michele Pegoraro commented Apr 05 '16, 5:41 a.m.

Yes, you're right. In my case was a single attribute and I use it only on a single way. Another approach is to have a scheduled job that update fields needed that probably would be cheaper to obtain but it's obviously asynchronous.

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Apr 05 '16, 2:11 a.m.
I am not aware of a way to do this.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.