It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to set up a CCM project for internal training

Gary Day (18914) | asked Mar 31 '16, 4:10 a.m.

We are currently using RTC 5.0.2 but hope to upgrade to 6.0.2 in the next few months.

A project of our wants to set up a training project in CCM, get it to a certain state with streams\plans\work items (whatever they decide on) and after use by an intern group over a few weeks, want to be able to reset it back to the start ready for the next group.

What are the options or recommendations for this scenario?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Zeeshan Choudhry (6541612) | answered Mar 31 '16, 6:14 a.m.
You can also use Master Child Project Area relationship  ( Process sharing )

What you can do is, setup a master Project area , and then make it shareable.

Now create a child project area for Group 1 and then consume the process from the Master project area.

Once the Group 1 is finished , you can archive the project area for that group.

For Group 2  you can create another child project area that consumes the process from the Master project area.

So on and so forth

The draw back for this is you will be consuming more DB + server machine indexes space over time for each project area created. But that should not be a major concern for a test or production sever.

here is a brief technote on how to set Process sharing.

Ralph Schoon selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Gary Day commented Mar 31 '16, 8:25 a.m.

Thanks Zeeshan, I think this method sounds promising.

One other answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Mar 31 '16, 4:52 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
The options I can provide are basically backup/restore based. I would suggest to do this on a test system instead of on the production system.

Backup/restore: One option is to use a VMWare for the server(s) and the DB's and use snapshots to manage the backup. You can bring the system to the desired state and create the snapshot across the VM's in use.

https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Deployment/BackupCLM explains backup in general.

When using backups, there might be a need to adjust the iterations to the current dates, in order go get useful planning data.

Dependent on how much data you need you could potentially also use the JKE Banking Example data and use the API to modify it slightly. The effort could be huge however. The same applies if you want to build a new training project from scratch using the API. I used that option (SCM data only) here: https://rsjazz.wordpress.com/2013/09/18/deploying-templates-and-creating-projects-using-the-plain-java-clients-library/

Comments
Gary Day commented Mar 31 '16, 8:25 a.m.

Many thanks Ralph. We will try to evaluate this method and the costs\time involved.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.